3D RecallChek Feature

As I was downloading and updating 3D with the latest patch I noted the RecallChek feature that I hadn't noticed before. While filling out the report you can enter the manufacture, make, model & serial number of an appliance and 3D will connect to ScheduleCenter.com / RecallChek to automatically check for recalls.

From 3D Help Desk:

Access RecallCheck Preferences using Preferences > Preferences to enable export options to the third-party report RecallChek service powered by IMS (http://www.inspectionmanagementsystems.com) for The Scheduler Center customers. Please check with IMS for information about their services, to sign up, or obtain logon information. Internet access is required while reporting to access IMS server information appliance database.

To add fields used by the RecallChek interface to your report:

While inspecting an appliance or component, position your cursor in the report where you wish to insert fields for recording its information.

Click Add/Copy in the report writer toolbar and choose "Add RecallChek Item". A window for entering appliance type, manufacturer, model, and serial number fields appears.

Select appliance type and manufacturer from fields filled from the IMS server. Complete the model/serial numbers as applicable. Click OK when done.

The 4 fields are added to the report writer inspection with the info entered. As long as the fields remain named exactly such and in that order, 3D will later recognize them as RecallChek info fields when submitting the info to IMS.

To submit RecallCheck information to IMS:

After adding any completing any necessary RecallChek fields in your report, click File > Submit RecallChek.

Available job information from your linked Office Management job is automatically populates the fields. Verify or enter the information to be submitted as needed.

Click Submit when ready to send your information to IMS.

Once submitted, IMS and RecallChek handle all checking for recalls and generating return reports as needed. Check with them for information about their services.

I haven't tried it out yet but thought it a news worthy post (plus a pretty neat feature).

All I know is what's on their website.

3D tried to do something similar with purchasing RapidSketch, a crappy diagram program for $150 or so. You can get better diagram programs free.

Here is the info from the website:

http://www.inspectionmanagementsystems. ... 9&mid=4704

(Editor's Note: I removed the text. Please do not copy material from others' website and post it here unless you have permission to do so.)

• 3 months later...

RecallChek reports cost as little as $7 per report and are free as part of the ADT Inspection Program when you utilize 90-day warranties from RWS.

You can submit directly to our website thru 3D, it is not required that you have an inspection management software in order to utilize the service, in response to those who had that concern.

Go to the RecallChek website for more information or call Jamie Ward at 800-544-8156 for more information.

Hi,

Two days ago I was in the middle of an inspection for a Microsoft client when I noticed the client dinking around with his cell phone.

I asked him, "Got internet on that thing?" He said, "Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now." I said, "Wanna find out if these appliances are recalled?" He perked up and said, "Sure." I handed him a sheet of paper and said, "Write this down. Go to recalls.gov, click on 'search for recalls' and then when you see the box with the CPSC logo choose 'company' in that box and then one-by-one look up these manufacturers and check to see if this stove, microwave and dishwasher have been recalled."

Then I showed him where the model and serial numbers were on those appliances and went about my business while he busied himself for the next few minutes checking to see if the appliances were recalled.

I thought he'd found one that had been recallled when I heard an exclamation from the kitchen; so I stuck my head in there and said, "What's up." Seems he'd found an AP, or is it an APP, on the site that he could download to his phone so that he could check products to see if there's been any problems with them whenever he's out shopping. He was happily in the process of putting it on his phone with a bunch of other crap he had on that thing.

Anyway, the upshot of it was that none of the appliances were recalled. He found a kewl app(ap?) that he could use, and I didn't have to spend time dinking around trying to track down those serial numbers back here at the office.

Best of all, it didn't cost me a dime.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 4 months later...

Just so everyone is aware- our system has recalls that Recalls.gov does NOT have input properly in their system. If you do as the inspector above did, and have a client go there under your direction, I would highly suggest a waiver.

Plus RecallChek is now free as part of the ADT Inspection Program.

Just so everyone is aware- our system has recalls that Recalls.gov does NOT have input properly in their system. If you do as the inspector above did, and have a client go there under your direction, I would highly suggest a waiver.

Plus RecallChek is now free as part of the ADT Inspection Program.

A waiver? A waiver for what?

What's the client going to do; complain that, "I didn't know that my 20 year old disposal was recalled because it wasn't on the site that O'Handley told me about," when recalls of appliances aren't even covered under SOPs anyway?

If you miss a recall, so what? There is no requirement anywhere that says you have to know about every recall or inform a client about every recall; or even for anyone to look up recalled appliances; so, if you point out to a client that he or she can check those appliances to see if they've been recalled all you are doing is giving the client additional information that he or she can use.

Just because it isn't directing the client to your little enterprise doesn't mean an inspector is irresponsible. by your reasoning, I'd need a waiver if I gave the client the url to the city's permits website and someone hadn't bothered to get every single permit added to the information about the house.

Gosh, I wonder if I need a waiver when someone asks me where to find such-and-such and I refer him or her to google?

Jeez, just when I thought it was safe to walk down the street without running into a crazy, one comes here.

Get real!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike