Weight lost

Phillip

I admit to not following my own advice latley, but alot of the time, its motivation or the lack their of...This April I turn 47. Retired from army 3 years, completed 26. Yep, was 17. Back then I was bullet proof, so were you guys. I can think of a dozens aches and pains that hit me on a daily basis. The problem feeling that way is compounded by the memory of why it hurts today. Biking accident, the day I tried snowboarding (bad scene), any day during my basic para course, several vehicle roll overs, smash up derby, my list, like your is extensive.

With age we think diferently, we think we are still superman, nope, we think that the extra pie is okay, cause its going to snow tonight and I will shovel it all and reason off 350 calories. When we were young burning off calories was as easy as eating that apple pie, not so much now. For most men, the metabolism slows down, libido goes south and our normal levels of testostrone are inadequate. You can't change getting older, but you can get healthier.

So, we identified the problem " I am over weight 15 pounds". Create a reason to lose "I want to dance at my granddaughters wedding. You have to be self exciting at this point, and have the drive and motivation to carry out that plan. If you just follow the top ten list above, it will alone assist you in at least making your body feel better, and losing some weight in the process. Only you know how your body performs. Eating fish (salmon), nuts (cashews), getting olive oil into your menu (salad). Stop eating anyting with the words: creamy, ranch and battered or deep fried.

I love walking, used to love the 10 mile rucksack marches. So I now get on my snowshoes with civilain pack, load it with everything, start light and then work up to 35lbs in it. I walk through the woods at a pace of 3-4kms an hour. I love winter. I also have an eliptical machine and treadmill. The eliptical is better, no impact. It took me a bit to get used to the elpitical but now I come off that and feel great. I dont want NIKE suing me but their slogan is spot on....'Just Do It' dosnt matter how old, just do it properly and no one gets hurt.

Like we used to say in the Airborne.."Whats a volleyball game without an ambulance waiting",,,, seriously...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. In my own case, I KNOW I'd be in far worse shape if I didn't commit to NOT drinking carbs and calories. A coke is 108 calories just like that. Orange and grape juice - off the charts. It's just to delicious and easy to pile on calories and carbs without even giving it a thought. If you sit down and do the math, just switching from whatever you're currently in the habit of drinking to water will usually net a pretty impressive reduction in calories and carbs consumed.

Also, each lb of muscle we add requires 100 calories to stick around. A little muscle building goes a long way in burning calories and carbs.

And, that's what I need - to kick up the burning machine...

Yep calorie reduction works. I used to drink great tasting beer, never was a light beer drinker, or light anything for that matter. My wife and I quit smokes 5 years ago (happy newyear) we concentrated on the not smoking and bedamned the weight. As I started to inflate I mentioned that my uniforsm are a little snug, she says 'well your packing it on' my wife eh,,so I said lets change what we are doing. she started the SouthBeach menu. I was resistant until I started seeing what we can eat that is healthy less or zero carbs.

I changed my 165 calorie 6.5% beer and switched to Amercican training beer Coors Light it has approx 90 calories and is only 4%. I hated it, it took about ten beers to get a buzz, I was drinking like a man possesed where was the beer buzz, and while I was saying that I noticed I could see below my stomach, with out changing I had lost 10 pounds..its the intake, get a book on carbs,,,its pretty crazy reading...

I never had a weight problem until I started inspecting 7 years ago. I'm 15 Ibs over at 190 and 5'10 1/2 and I responded to it by eating just 'what I need' rather than 'what I want'. Simply said, not so simply done. So, for 4 months now, I've been running 3-4 times/week. Always loved it.

Best beer I ever had, Mongo, was at some small place in downtown Toronto that piped in the beer from a mini-distillery right next door. They actually punched holes in the masonry dividing wall for the pipes. No preservatives!

Marc

I changed my 165 calorie 6.5% beer and switched to Amercican training beer Coors Light it has approx 90 calories and is only 4%. I hated it, it took about ten beers to get a buzz, I was drinking like a man possesed where was the beer buzz, and while I was saying that I noticed I could see below my stomach, with out changing I had lost 10 pounds.

That's where I draw the line.

I've played this game and won three times before. Never once did I resort to drinking watered down cougar piss in place of that wonderful Canadian nectar in those pretty BLUE cans.

Remember, there's a pork chop in every bottle.

Besides that, if you have to drink ten, how many calories are you really saving? Isn't that like buying gas with ethanol? It costs the same, your mileage goes down and you end up buying more. What's the point?

I changed my 165 calorie 6.5% beer and switched to Amercican training beer Coors Light it has approx 90 calories and is only 4%. I hated it, it took about ten beers to get a buzz, I was drinking like a man possesed where was the beer buzz, and while I was saying that I noticed I could see below my stomach, with out changing I had lost 10 pounds.

That's where I draw the line.

I've played this game and won three times before. Never once did I resort to drinking watered down cougar piss in place of that wonderful Canadian nectar in those pretty BLUE cans.

Remember, there's a pork chop in every bottle.

Besides that, if you have to drink ten, how many calories are you really saving? Isn't that like buying gas with ethanol? It costs the same, your mileage goes down and you end up buying more. What's the point?

..because you get tired of heading off to the bathroom so many times. I was with you, never going to change to a light beer. I lost weight, cut down on my drinking overall and dont mind coors light, its great in fruit loops or at coffe break...

For most men, the metabolism slows down, libido goes south and our normal levels of testostrone are inadequate. You can't change getting older, but you can get healthier.

Speak for yourself. I carry an extra 15 because I got tired of the chicks wanting to see my six pack. Kiss my ass inadequate testosterone.

John Wayne had enough testosterone... what about Chuck friggin Norris?

Libido goin south? Good Lord Almighty don't even think that crap much less type it on the internet and don't project those thoughts of decline/deflation on me, it might mess with my mojo. I mean ,I got plenty of mojo, don't think I ain't got it to spare- I do, but there's no point in wasting it.

Friggin declining testosterone, sheeit, just tonight I scratched myself in public.

Hi All,

Like Mongo, I used to spend my mornings conducting PT sessions for a whole lot of folks a lot younger than myself. I agree pretty much with everything he's said.

My plan is very simple. Cut out the crap foods, eat no more than I need to, instead of loading up the plate with enough food for a dozen people - which I can easily polish off - and spend at least an hour a night on my NordicTrack.

Every time I've done that, I've dropped around 60 lbs in about 90 days.

Time for an encore.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well, severe injury and chronic pain are very effective at generating weight loss. I dropped 45 pounds that way without even trying. However, I don’t recommend it as an overall way to improve your health.

Here's my strategy this time around. I welcome any input:

1. Wear a pedometer. One study showed that just wearing a pedometer caused people to add and average of 2,000 steps per day to their normal routine. That Nike/Ipod thingy seems really interesting.

2. Keep a food journal. Never be without it. The simple act of recording your food intake will reduce your food intake.

3. Eat only fresh fruit before noon. (Avoid dry fruit.) This gives you plenty of ready carbs and fiber. Get your complex carbs & protein later in the day. Most of us need to eat more fruit.

4. Force yourself to drink 16 oz of water first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and before every meal. You’ll eat less. Besides, most of us need the water. If your pee is yellow, you're not drinking enough water.

5. Plan for snacks between meals each day. Don’t wait till you’re hungry to decide what to eat.

6. Eat anything you want for dinner but only have one reasonably-sized serving. After dinner eat nothing else, except water, until morning.

7. Go to bed earlier each night and get up earlier each morning.

8. As soon as you get hungry, eat something. Don’t deny yourself food. Just make better choices.

9. Keep lots of healthy food in the house. Don’t allow any bad food in the house.

10. Try some aversion therapy. Wear a rubber band like a bracelet, loosely around your wrist. When you crave something bad, snap the rubber band sharply against your wrist three times.

11. Avoid fast food joints and never set foot in a 7-Eleven or a Plaid Pantry again. There’s nothing edible in any of those places. They only sell poison.

12. When you’re home, don’t wear oversized, comfortable clothes. Dig through your closet to find clothes that are a little too small for you. Wear those. They’ll serve as a constant reminder.

13. Tighten your belt one notch more than is comfortable. Tighten it another notch more at mealtimes.

14. Begin to walk at a gentle pace every day. Expand to a brisk pace over a week or so. Then expand to any kind of activity that will cause you to produce sweat for 20 minutes. For me, this stuff has to be useful & productive. I don't do exercise machines. I plan to: prune my woodlot and haul the brush to a burn pile; fill the dozens of potholes in my long gravel driveway; split & restack the wood in my wood shed; turn the soil in my early spring garden beds; and haul in some fieldstones to make borders for a garden in front of the house.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

At 56, 6-2 & 180, I won't be joining y'all.

I follow a very simple plan.

Eat less, move more!

Lots of water to flush the system

Yoga for flexibility. (very helpful for those attics and crawl spaces).

It's worked for years & years.

Metabolism is fine, libido still heading north & plenty of testosterone and still a full head of hair. But then some of that may be in the genes.

If you're a video game junkie, try some of the Wii Fit Plus games. They'll work muscles you ain't worked in years and years.

I know from my wife's experience, it ain't easy at all.

I wish y'all the best of luck and health and results.

-

Charlie,

That's just...just..........SICK! And what the hell was Randy Navarro's avatar doing in that video?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That song has stuck in my mind since I heard it in the early 80's.

My wife made me an off I could not refuse last year . All I had to do was to eat by the weight watcher plan day by day. I did loose a bit of weight. As Phillip has said, a life style change is needed in my case. Water is the first thing. Never drink the stuff. The diet change I can do. Did it last year for about 4 months.

Exercise is the tough one. Arthritis in my thumbs gives me an excuse from weight lifting and that was the only excise I ever enjoyed. The tissue in my broken ankle has never healed. I walk fine for short distances but the swelling sets in pretty quickly. I swim poorly. In the past cycling has bothered the arthritis in my hips. I blame the arthritis on the fact I was run over by a car when I was a kid. The country club has a pool but it's not open in the winter.

My chair is looking better and better. Seriously, I'm planning to walk a little, ride a little and Wii as much as I can. It was fun to play with last yeas but did not make me sweat. By the way 234.5 this am. IT has been a wonderful holiday. I'm about to leave for New Orleans to play for the day and leave my sister in law's family to catch a flight back to Vienna in tomorrow. Of course I must show them the city and several eating establishments. Don't forget Cafe Du Monde and the beignets.

I don't think I'm putting any cash in our little contest.

In true spirit, I'm headed out to hike in the forest with my jack russell. It's 21 degrees, so no doubt, we'll have the forest to ourselves. I was really supposed to go snowboarding, but the 3 degree temperature at the top of the mountain with strong wind gusts scared everyone else off. Too bad, because the conditions were great with no chance of snow melting to re-freeze as ice in the evening, but it's too far to drive alone. Oh, well it's supposed to be cold all week. I'll snowboard one of these evenings.

I applaud all of you working on improving your health and your life. I unfortunately do not have this problem due to a bout of pancreatitis and having gall bladder removed and still having bouts of pancreatitis and not being able to keep food in my body long enough to do any good. Other wise I would be right in the middle of this with you. Having read some of the posts some words from a country song come to mind ,, God is great, beer is good and people are crazy,,, Good luck to you all.

I applaud all of you working on improving your health and your life. I unfortunately do not have this problem due to a bout of pancreatitis and having gall bladder removed and still having bouts of pancreatitis and not being able to keep food in my body long enough to do any good. Other wise I would be right in the middle of this with you. Having read some of the posts some words from a country song come to mind ,, God is great, beer is good and people are crazy,,, Good luck to you all.

Good luck to you, Dennis.

Funny thing, had my gallbladder removed 10/23. Had an attack one Sunday night in early Oct. No idea what the cause was. I only had all I could eat fried shrimp for lunch and licked the bowls from 5 cakes and 5 icing batches. Spent most of the night in the ER. Several test over teh next week and was told it had to go quick. Fried food and all the other IBS stuff doesn't stick around but I've only put weight on since that date. The bride has been making cake balls by the 100's. I'm the QC dept.

......... turn the soil in my early spring garden beds......................

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I've been reading a fair amount on soil/fungal relationships, and I thought the most current thinking was don't turn the soil in the fall; wait 'til Spring.

Reason being, you disturb the complex fungal interrelationships by turning the soil in the fall, and the colonies have a harder time making it through the winter.

Turning in Spring aerates the soil better; fall turning compacts down and reduces oxygen in the soil.

At least, that's been my approach the last couple years. I've got a Mother Earth News from last year that outlined the fundamentals for soil development, and it was an eye opener. Lottsa new info that sez the old info was erroneous.

In the diet thread, my personal credo is never eat anything purchased in a gas station..........