anyone ever hear of "American Switch" breakers?

AHI in AR

I looked at a house this morning which had been "updated" years ago with a panel and circuit breakers made by a company called American Switch. This is not a brand I can recall ever having seen before. Apparently, they didn't sell much around here, if anywhere. Based on looks, my guess is that it's circa early 1960-ish, but that's strictly a guess. I have no pressing reason to know other than curiosity, but I'd like to know if any of you guys know anything about the company or the product.

I looked at a house this morning which had been "updated" years ago with a panel and circuit breakers made by a company called American Switch. This is not a brand I can recall ever having seen before. Apparently, they didn't sell much around here, if anywhere. Based on looks, my guess is that it's circa early 1960-ish, but that's strictly a guess. I have no pressing reason to know other than curiosity, but I'd like to know if any of you guys know anything about the company or the product.

I can't recall having ever seen them or heard of them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I was there only on a quickie insurance job to describe the type of wiring and plumbing present. Honestly, I don't remember much about how the breakers looked. I can say with certainty that they weren't Zinsco type. The house was built in 1946. The main was outside, and I kept telling the owner that there had to be another panel inside somewhere -- most likely in a closet. After a couple minutes of discussion/thought, she brightens up and says "Ya mean like this?" and shows me a lovely FPE panel in the coat closet.

She said her inspector didn't mention it when she bought the home 2 years ago...

• 1 year later...