CTL Panels

dtontarski

Question: What if a panel has a "class CTL" label, but no other labeling or diagrams that clearly state that half-width (wafer) breakers are permitted?

And - there is no clear labeling on the circuit breakers themselves identifying these as CTL rated circuit breakers?

Should this be called out as requiring further evaluation?

Any general advice on this?

Question: What if a panel has a "class CTL" label, but no other labeling or diagrams that clearly state that half-width (wafer) breakers are permitted?

And - there is no clear labeling on the circuit breakers themselves identifying these as CTL rated circuit breakers?

Should this be called out as requiring further evaluation?

Any general advice on this?

Now that's an esoteric question.

Without a schematic you just don't know. I think I'd just use common sense. If the panel looks like its overstuffed with breakers, say that it looks like it's overstuffed with breakers and call an electrician to determine whether or not its ok.

I wouldn't call for further evaluation based solely on the lack of a CTL label on the breakers. That might not mean anything.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Yes...esoteric questions are the spawn of book and online learning.

Hansen's book states "If a panel is labeled as a CTL panel, then it would not be proper to install "piggy back" or "twin" breakers that provide two overcurrent devices in the space normally allotted for only one breaker unless the panel label allowed such an arrangement."

The book didn't go on to state the common sense advice that you provided.

Thus I benefit and greatly appreciate the ability to run these esoteric questions by you and the other forum contributors.

Thanks again!

Dave Tontarski