Inspecting for a tenant thinking of buying

What form of permission were you looking for?

The tenant's say-so that the seller agreed to such. I ain't looking to get it written in blood - I'll take someone at their word. But he wouldn't agree to get such permission.

In a *normal* deal, the seller agrees to let the buyer do the inspection. Here, the seller doesn't know I'll be walking on his roof, removing electrical panel covers, and basically sticking a microscope up the house's arse.

I think it's not only common courtesy to inform the homeowner, but I also worry the tenant may want the inspection results to use for a more devious purpose (pissed-off at the landlord and looking to sue). That's one web I don't ever want to get tangled in.

But that's me. Just wondering 'bout you guys.

Hi,

The tenant might be looking for a list of stuff to throw back at the landlord and the whole, "I want to buy the house," thing might have been a ruse.

Not sure that it would have been wrong to do it without conferring with the owner though. After all, I can't remember ever reading in any rental contract that I'd ever signed that I wasn't allowed to go on the roof or look in electrical panels or the crawlspace, etc.; those contracts basically made me responsible for everything about the house for the time that I'd leased it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I have done inspections for tenants wanting to buy. I see no problem with the owner not knowing. I'm not changing or altering anything. As for liability, sellers never seem to think of that when they do know of the inspection. I doubt that the rental agreement has a clause about who the tenant has visit the property. Even if it had, how would I know that. Such an issue would be between the tenant and owner. At least by my reckoning. I don't even ask if permission has been given.

I have done inspections for tenants wanting to buy. I see no problem with the owner not knowing. I'm not changing or altering anything. As for liability, sellers never seem to think of that when they do know of the inspection. I doubt that the rental agreement has a clause about who the tenant has visit the property. Even if it had, how would I know that. Such an issue would be between the tenant and owner. At least by my reckoning. I don't even ask if permission has been given.

Truth be told, I mighta felt the same way if I wasn't so frickin' busy. Two Friday, two yesterday, two today, and a 6,000+ sf house tomorrow. Maybe I just sub-consciously wanted Tuesday off (though I just re-booked it a few minutes ago).

Eric, want a job for a tenant? Gimme a call if you're interested, though it's in Rockford (I did include a travel fee, so...?).