When is a new home used?

I had an interesting situation today. My client was under the impression (from the listing agent) that the SFR or glorified townhouse (constructed in 2008 - August 2008 water heater) she was buying was brand, spanking new. It is being sold by the developer, who happens to be the brother of the builder.

Right away I found the oven racks were soiled and brown, and then found other signs that the home had been lived in (cat hair under the gas fire-place, tacks for "curtains" at some windows, soiled caulk around the tub, etc, etc). The place had many other purely cosmetic issues but, aside from a missing thermal expansion tank, was pretty much "clean". My client was, well, disappointed. I think for her it was like ordering a new car only to have it delivered with a couple of thousand miles on the odometer and butts in the ashtray.

Odd! I've never run across this before.

I run into a new 5 year old roof more than a few times a year. It seems anywhere whithin 5 years on a home is considered new. By a broker or seller anyway. I always bring up the buying a car thing and sometimes compare to a real estate liscence. So my dear broker, when you met your first clients, and the ink was still wet on your liscense, did you tell them you were a NEW, just liscensed broker or a well seasoned professional. oops

Your clients probably were not as surprised as some of mine a few years ago. They thought they were buying a newly built house where an old one had been scraped off. Instead it was a large-ish addition and new facade on a 1960's house, with old framing clear up to the roof. Turned out to be one of the longer reports I've ever written.