I already have an opinion about this, but I'd like to hear all sides before I enact policy.

Do you think it is wrong if you inspect a house, and the client (a neurologist, who could operate on a brain, but doesn't know how to change a hose gasket) asks you to get him a proposal to repair a particular anomoly.

This is an EIFS repair on a house I inspected.

When I provided the proposal, I clearly added and defined my fee, along with a list defining my responsibility.

I don't work on what I inspect, and there is no fee from the contractor. but in a case like this, I see nothing wrong being involved as a consultant.

What say ye?

Originally posted by StevenT

Do you think it is wrong if you inspect a house, and the client (a neurologist, who could operate on a brain, but doesn't know how to change a hose gasket) asks you to get him a proposal to repair a particular anomoly.

Pardon my bending the subject.

Not to go all pedantic, but if you're going to use a word NASA uses, you might as well put the "a" where the second "o" goes.

Anomaly.

Because the neurologist -- and people like him -- will notice.

WJ

I already have an opinion about this, but I'd like to hear all sides before I enact policy.

This is an EIFS repair on a house I inspected.

When I provided the proposal, I clearly added and defined my fee, along with a list defining my responsibility.

I don't work on what I inspect, and there is no fee from the contractor. but in a case like this, I see nothing wrong being involved as a consultant.

What say ye?

I don't see why that would be an ethical problem.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Ethics are an extremely complex subject, with huge numbers of variables. There are no right an wrong answers. What should matter is what's in our heart, but what really matters is what others perceive. My general response to questions like this is "If you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't be doing it".

Consultant, ethically no problem, if you are up to the task.

"I" would not do this but that is just me. I see no problem with advising on the correct repairs or defining what needs to be done. But you could quickly step into the role of GC without realizing you stepped over the line from consultant to repairing general contractor. (i.e. YOU own the repair)

That in my opinion is wrong, in fact illegal in my state.

I would step away and tell them to hire a competent professional.

If it was to do with other repairs, perhaps it would bother me a little more than this situation does. Reason being it that whit any EIFS installation, it is the inspector's duty to check each step, before the next on commences. Any work that is not right gets ripped out before the jobs is done, before it is too late, or hidden.

I also elieve, since I am citing my fee in the proposal, I'm being up front.

Unfortunately, with EIFS, if I don't watch every inch, it will be done wrong.