Date This House

I post this as a challenge and as a sneaky way of seeing if my guess is reasonable.

Here's a 1-1/2 story Cape built in a very rural area.

* The framing lumber is all milled & planed smooth.

* There's no knob & tube anywhere in the house. It was originally wired in cloth-covered NM.

* The original electrical service was 30 amps.

* The original heating system was a Montag lowboy oil furnace.

* Most of the interior walls and ceilings are finished with thin plywood. The rest are firtex. There isn't a speck of plaster or sheetrock anywhere.

* It never had any fireplaces. The single-flue brick chimney serves the oil furnace.

* It's had three roof covers: the original wood shingles; one layer of three-tab asphalt shingles (light green); and the present, completely worn out, layer of shakes.

I think that I've got it pegged to within a 3 year period, but I'd love some confirmation. Anyone care to play?

I've attached three photos that should help.

Image Insert:

20081117232325_Cape.jpg

58.05 KB

Image Insert:

20081117232337_Fixture1.jpg

31.23 KB

Image Insert:

20081117232347_Fixture2.jpg

50.2 KB

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Wow,

I have an old 1946-1947 issue of Small Homes Annual and on page 41 there's a cape that, except for the windows, looks identical. In the sketch that I have, the windows on the front of the house are doubled up on both sides of the entrance. The floor plan shows one walking into the living room with a dining room off to one side and the kitchen at a back corner. There's a door at the back of the living room into a narrow little hall with one bath, a linen closet, and one bedroom on that level. There are two bedrooms on the second floor with the closets backed up to each other. No fireplace, just a single furnace flue type chimney.

Of course, then again about 80% of the house designs in this book are variations on the cape.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks everyone.

The assessor's office says that the house was built in '47 but I found this in the old service panel (now a junction box)

Image Insert:

2008111822524_Permit.jpg

66.37 KB

I'm reasonably sure that the actual completion date must have been 1949-1951. I suppose that the permit could have been opened in '47 and the building completed in '49.

Both of the light fixtures look pre-war to me but I've been wrong before. On the other hand, light fixture styles, like everything else could take some time to make it to Grand Ronde.

- Jim Katen, Oregon