landlord gripes

I got a call from a person who claimed to be having problems with their landlord regarding repairs that were not getting done. The complaints also included possible environmental and health issues.

I could have pushed the issue and attempted to land a job but I don't feel confident that my services are just what was needed in this case.

I directed them to the housing authority.

Would any of you handled this differently?

I politely decline those sorts of jobs. I've never done one, but growing up in a family that had conscientiously managed rental property, I know how a lot of tenants will deliberately trash properties no matter how immaculate they were at move-in. That said, many, if not most landlords milk all the cash out of a property without taking into account that the tenants are (usually) people deserving a decent place and reasonable attention in return for their rent payments.

I'd still stay away if I were you. Chances are you'd get a bad check anyway -- the tenant may be trying to use your report to justify not paying rent.

Could be a mess, or not.

I've done a few jobs in this category that were completely justified, and I raked in a few grand in litigation support when they took the slumlord to court.

In general, I'd stay away 'cuz there's better work, but if I was hungry..........[:-paperba

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

I got a call from a person who claimed to be having problems with their landlord regarding repairs that were not getting done. The complaints also included possible environmental and health issues.

I could have pushed the issue and attempted to land a job but I don't feel confident that my services are just what was needed in this case.

I directed them to the housing authority.

Would any of you handled this differently?

I did a few such jobs, but I had my lawyer on board before I did anything. I have an agreement with my lawyer -- if she'll do the job pro bono, I'll do the job pro bono.

WJ