Trivia for the Day

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Oriel has been a word -- and a thing -- for a long time.

www.co.lancaster.pa.us/.../Oriel.jpg

WJ

Not in cyber space---------today

Our site was recently updated and we cannot locate the URL that you have requested. Your bookmarks and favorites may not be correct.

From Server: LCWEB1

Lancaster County Website

Well, lunch is over I've got a 1:00

An oriel is a window with unequal sash, typically the top sash is smaller than the bottom sash in a double or single hung window, usually divided 2/5 over 3/5. Interestingly, if you were to reverse that configuration (smaller sash on bottom) it tends to be called a cottage window. Sliding windows with unequal sash are also often refered to as oriels. There are regional variations as well.

Tom

Bay Window was a lousy clue.

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

An oriel is a window with unequal sash, typically the top sash is smaller than the bottom sash in a double or single hung window, usually divided 2/5 over 3/5.

What's your source for that?

An oriel window is multi-sash, faceted window assembly that projects from a wall and is usually supported by brackets or corbels

Interestingly, if you were to reverse that configuration (smaller sash on bottom) it tends to be called a cottage window.

I've always thought the smaller sash on top was a cottage window.

Never seen a window with a smaller sash on the bottom.

Interesting, isn't it Brian, that we southerners were clueless, while the Yanks--who apparently see them much more often than us--were familiar with them. There are maybe fifty houses in Lexington that have oriels, most of them located downtown.

Originally posted by Bain

Interesting, isn't it Brian, that we southerners were clueless, while the Yanks--who apparently see them much more often than us--were familiar with them. There are maybe fifty houses in Lexington that have oriels, most of them located downtown.

Uh, ahem. This South Carolina Native/TN transplant was wise to oriels. I like the little bird on their ballcaps...

We'd know more about oriels if the Yanks hadn't come down here and burned down all the mid/late 1800s houses. (Imagine smiley here.)

WJ

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

An oriel is a window with unequal sash, typically the top sash is smaller than the bottom sash in a double or single hung window, usually divided 2/5 over 3/5.

What's your source for that?

An oriel window is multi-sash, faceted window assembly that projects from a wall and is usually supported by brackets or corbels

Interesting that every dictionary or encyclopedia I found in a quick search describes the same window you describe, and that every window manufacturer site in the same search describes the window I described. Appearently I need to refer to sources much older than the modern manufacturer.

BTW, the window I called an oriel appears in a variety of architectural styles (in my corner of the world) built from around 1880 until around 1930 with surprising frequency, and is making a bit of a come back in new construction and remodeling.

If this is not an oriel window, what the heck is it called?

Tom

I was wrong and will take my lashes, but please correct me so that I don't have to take them again.