Sparky really, REALLY doesn't like HIs

I've seen some odd mis-understandings of what we do, as well as some dislike, probably from being exposed to a bozo or two...but this gentleman has an axe to grind. You'll quickly work out which one.

BTW...if bad grammar bothers you, you might not want to go there.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=98743

I doubt that it's worth offering any type of clarification.

Jeez, what a parade of ignorance about HI work. Herr cschmid needs an enima. He hates us because we're unlicensed, unqualified, uninsured, and not responsible for anything, but he'll fight any effort to require such things for HI's in his state. Brilliant. [:-boggled

Brian G.

Full of Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing [:-dunce]

Originally posted by Richard Moore

I've seen some odd mis-understandings of what we do, as well as some dislike, probably from being exposed to a bozo or two...but this gentleman has an axe to grind. You'll quickly work out which one.

BTW...if bad grammar bothers you, you might not want to go there.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=98743

I doubt that it's worth offering any type of clarification.

I've been following that thread since it started. There's no point in responding.

The sad fact is that, even the worst detractor there is correct. The overwhelming majority of home inspectors are under educated and, frankly, not too bright. Most of them shouldn't be inspecting homes.

The inspectors who spend time on forums like this one are the exception. You can look through the archives here, at the ASHI, NAHI and NACHI sites and see evidence of generally bright, inquisitive people who are interested in learning and in improving their education.

The great majority of inspectors out there don't spend a minute more than they have to on education and their work shows it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Brother Katen wrote:

I've been following that thread since it started. There's no point in responding.

The sad fact is that, even the worst detractor there is correct. The overwhelming majority of home inspectors are under educated and, frankly, not too bright. Most of them shouldn't be inspecting homes.

The inspectors who spend time on forums like this one are the exception. You can look through the archives here, at the ASHI, NAHI and NACHI sites and see evidence of generally bright, inquisitive people who are interested in learning and in improving their education.

The great majority of inspectors out there don't spend a minute more than they have to on education and their work shows it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I say:

Ain't it the truth. I quit doing everyday HI work because I didn't want to be grouped with the everythingally-challenged HI majority.

My solution: Limit my inspections to houses that aren't for sale. No Re agents involved. No knucklehead tradesfolk. I see a lot more intact teeth and than I used to, and I never have to get close to a chain smoking Tilt-A-Whirl greaser.

That said, I sure am thankful for the bright and competent HIs. My guess is that there might be 100 of 'em.

WJid="blue">

Originally posted by Jim Katen

I'd love to deny that, but I can't. It's true.

Of course, it's also true of all the building trades these days, including the group over there pissing on HI's, which is what created the need for HI's in the first place.

That thread is also riddled with erroneous information and false assumptions. So what else is new?

Brian G.

Hey You Can't Sue Me, Only the Previous Homeowner [^]

I have to say that I do agree with them, to an extent.

It would be much better for the buyer if they hired professionals in every field to perform the inspections. The following individuals will be able to provide much more (in their field) than I can, providing they are honest are are not looking to drum up repair business....

A structural engineer/PE..............$150-200 to inspect foundation, walls, floors and attic/roof and proper fire separation just to tell you that there is/is not an issue (not to tell you how to fix it)

A certified chimney sweep............$75.00 to clean and inspect chimney and flue

Licensed HVAC tech.....................$100.00 service call to check out the furnace and a/c

Licensed Electrician.....................$75-150 to check service and components

Licensed Plumber........................$75-150 to check pressure, flow, drainage, water heater and look for leaks

General Contractor......................$75 to inspect the roof, siding, trim, windows, doors, decks, etc.

Garage Door Company.................$50 to check door operation

That is $600 minimum, and you still have to worry about conflict of interest and ethics.

Maybe I need to raise my fees.

At least double, or in some cases quintuple, those fees.

Also, it's completely unrealistic to think one could get that many unrelated trades and skillsets into a house on a limited time frame.

I'm completely comfortable w/90% of the world thinking HI's are a bunch of idiots. It's unfortunate, but our colleagues are the problem that won't go away.

Like I said previously, it makes it a lot easier for me to distinguish myself. All I need is 300 jobs a year. Let those that think they can get competency for a couple hundred bucks a shot go for it.

Read Ruskin on this topic. It's impossible to convince the arrogant that they don't know nuthin'.

Originally posted by jon_ran

It would be much better for the buyer if they hired professionals in every field to perform the inspections. The following individuals will be able to provide much more (in their field) than I can, providing they are honest are are not looking to drum up repair business....

A structural engineer/PE..............$150-200 to inspect foundation, walls, floors and attic/roof and proper fire separation just to tell you that there is/is not an issue (not to tell you how to fix it)

A certified chimney sweep............$75.00 to clean and inspect chimney and flue

Licensed HVAC tech.....................$100.00 service call to check out the furnace and a/c

Licensed Electrician.....................$75-150 to check service and components

Licensed Plumber........................$75-150 to check pressure, flow, drainage, water heater and look for leaks

General Contractor......................$75 to inspect the roof, siding, trim, windows, doors, decks, etc.

That is $600 minimum, and you still have to worry about conflict of interest and ethics.

Well, in many instances, my home inspection fee is already greater than $600.

Actually, your prices seem quite low. Heck a good sweep charges $270 for a basic sweeping here. I don't know of any engineers who'll put anything in writing for $200.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

If I could be the GC and do inspections like that and get people to pay me a fee to do it, I would; because it would probably reduce my own exposure greatly. However, I have to agree with Jim and Kurt; I couldn't get all of those guys together to do the home and provide a written report for less than $2500 to $3000.

Bottom line, here you can't even get a fat guy to climb into his truck and sit there for less than $100, let alone get him to drive through this nightmare we call traffic, then spend time inspecting components, drive back home through the snarl again, and then write a decent report and get it to you by the time the inspection contingency window closes.

Sure, if you could get them all on site at the same time, you could probably get them to come by to do a verbal, without a written report, for less than that - maybe $1200 to $1500, but then the buyer doesn't have any documentation to back himself up, if he needs to negotiate for repairs to a component and the homeowner damands some kind of written report, and, as the GC, I wouldn't have anything to back me up, to prove that it had been inspected, in the event something goes South that they missed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Well, in many instances, my home inspection fee is already greater than $600.

Actually, your prices seem quite low. Heck a good sweep charges $270 for a basic sweeping here. I don't know of any engineers who'll put anything in writing for $200.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I wish that I could price myself higher, but in this area I would price myself out of the market. Everyone is told to expect to pay between $150 and $250 for the home inspection and that it should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I guess that the guys who are done in 1 1/2 to 2 hours probably only charge $150.

As far as the pricing, I figured that it would be a little low but I was trying to figure an hourly rate (or standard service call fee) based on each profession being on site for about 1 hour. I figured that 1 hour would be sufficient time for each person to inspect his/her part of the home based on the 6 hours I spent at yesterdays 2900 sq/ft 1969 home.

I wish that I could price myself higher, but in this area I would price myself out of the market. Everyone is told to expect to pay between $150 and $250 for the home inspection and that it should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I guess that the guys who are done in 1 1/2 to 2 hours probably only charge $150.

What you charge is entirely dependent on how you market. ( well, ok, if you suck don't charge a lot)If you market to people who tell the client how much an inspection is, then you're bound by their opinion of what you're worth.

I inspect in an area where the average price of a house is well under 200k, average income is 1/3 of that and the average inspection is less than 300 bucks. My minimum inspection is 400 and my median fee is around 550.

Market directly to clients in a fashion that separates those who can tell the difference between value and price. Don't market to people whose sole job is to put lipstick on a pig.

For a kick, run an ad in a local Pennysaver about you and your business; be sincere. I can almost promise you'll pay for the ad and you'll find out what it's like to qualify your own client.

To quote the former scholar cum electrician of this thread's fame: That is my sincere " sediment".

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Jim - the majority of respondents on this subject should take both a spelling and grammar course ASAP. If this what is taught in school we are in real trouble! One of the regulars once said something to the effect "your grammar and pronunciation are a window to your soul". It should also read "a window to your quest for betterment". I was appalled after reading these posts - how could an educated individual accept anything said by these "Inspector" or "electrician" bozos. As a side note, I always pay attention to the spelling on electrical panels as it normally is good for a chuckle or two!

Originally posted by jon_ran

Around here, those prices are really low. Those prices are getting closer if they didn't have to put anything in writing.

$150 to $200 for just a roof inspection in writting.