what kind of siding is this?

jodil

The CYA call out is "Mineral Siding".

Face nailing is the correct method but it looks as if too many of the wrong nails were used. The correct nail has a very small head, ring shank, and is galvanized, kinda like the painted paneling nails at Big Box Mart.

What you have there almost certainly contains asbestos (like 99.9%). The only real no no with that stuff is cutting it with a saw, the dust is nasty. In my area it is not considered hazardous waste and homeowners who remove it themselves can place it at the curb for disposal. Professional removal requires a hazmat transfer permit (basically an extra $30 to $50 tax on the dumpster) but the material goes to the same landfill. No certification required to handle or dispose of.

There is new material that looks the same but is fiber (glass) reinforced cement that can be used to replace damaged or missing pieces.

Tom

Hi,

There's no reason to freak out when you see that stuff. It's butt-ugly but it's practically bullet proof, it is insect and woodpecker proof, and it holds up really well to the weather. I think the asbestos in that stuff is almost impossible to breath. I bet you'd have to pulverize it to the consistency of ultra find sand and then wash it and dry it before you could separate the asbestos fibers from the cement enough to get it airborn and be able to breath it. The silica sand that's used to make those shingles is probably a more immediate hazard.

GAF corporation makes fiber-cement shingles that will be a perfect match. Call them up and ask them to send you a free siding sample kit. You'll receive five little 3" by 5" by 3/8" boxes. Each box will contain a different pattern sample along with diagrams of the the series of shingles and dimensions of the shingles the pattern applies to and the colors that they are available in. When I got my packet, I just called their 800 number in Wayne, NJ, gave them my address, and they arrived a few days later. Since then, they've merged with ElK and the lady at that number will refer you to your local sales rep and the sales rep will have to order them for you.

I just put in a call to the local rep. He's going to see if there's a new central number that people can call to get a packet.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 3 months later...