Service in close proximity to "load-side" panel

mthomas1

Service disconnect is the 200A breaker in the panel (first pic) 4" to left of a "load-side" panel (second pic), bonded to same by conduit with ground wires to bushings at both ends (to the respective panels). Feeders run from 100A breaker at service panel to load side panel. Ground and neutral are not isolated at the load-side panel.

When the load side panel is in such close proximity to the service panel, and bonded in this manner, is it still considered a "load-side panel", or is it now part of the "service equipment"?

Image Insert:

20084218217_panel1.jpg

148.35 KB

Image Insert:

200842182213_panel2.jpg

77.09 KB

It isn't part of the service equipment, even 4" away. You can find discussion of this exact issue in the Electrical Forum, about 3 or 4 pages back, under the topic heading "distance rule with sub-panels?". I would post a link, but all I get is the generic TIJ address when I'm there.

Brian G.

Linkless Man [:-masked]

Originally posted by Brian G

It isn't part of the service equipment, even 4" away. You can find discussion of this exact issue in the Electrical Forum, about 3 or 4 pages back, under the topic heading "distance rule with sub-panels?". I would post a link, but all I get is the generic TIJ address when I'm there.

Brian G.

Linkless Man [:-masked]

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... IC_ID=6248

To get the topic link, put your cursor over the title in the electrical (in this case) forum and right click, the select copy shortcut. Then paste wherever.

Michael, where was it?

This is Chicago, and that's what you're going to see in most places. Rules is rules, and yes, theoretically, it doesn't matter if they're an inch apart, but then there's how it actually works, and it works fine, because the IBEW Local 134 says so.