200 amp disconnect

Clay

I have an electrical meter and service beside my water source to feed my pump. I want to pull power to a 200 amp service in my barn.

Can anyone tell me if I can mount a 200 amp disconnect under my meter and then pull 4/0 alt aluminum 250 feet to a 200 amp service panel without causing myself major head aches ? Will a 200 amp fused disconnect be safe or would I be better off using an exterior disconnect panel that contains a 200 amp breaker like the ones used for mobile homes ? Also, I'm assuming that I will need to bond the disconnect to the service panel, Am I right in thinking this would be the safest way to go ?

Don't take this the wrong way Clay, but when you electrocute yourself doing this, would you hold us blameless for saying it's OK...even it it was?

You need to have this done by a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN!!!

He will probably tell you that you will need to also upgrade the service drop and meter, etc as, presumably, they were designed for a single panel in your home.

Originally posted by Clay

I have an electrical meter and service beside my water source to feed my pump. I want to pull power to a 200 amp service in my barn.

Can anyone tell me if I can mount a 200 amp disconnect under my meter and then pull 4/0 alt aluminum 250 feet to a 200 amp service panel without causing myself major head aches ? Will a 200 amp fused disconnect be safe or would I be better off using an exterior disconnect panel that contains a 200 amp breaker like the ones used for mobile homes ? Also, I'm assuming that I will need to bond the disconnect to the service panel, Am I right in thinking this would be the safest way to go ?

Start by hiring an electrician and talking with your local power company. Be sure to get a permit.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

First of all, what's the overall size of your service to begin with? Secondly, while 4/0 aluminum might suffice for most 200A 120/240V services with a main service panel being behind or in close proximity to the overhead/underground service lateral, it's more than likely not going to be sufficient for the 250 foot run you indicated. The reason for this has to do with voltage drop. Interestingly enough, years ago I inspected a property with a 400A service that originated inside a pole barn. The home, being a considerable distance from the barn, was fed via 4/0 aluminum feeder conductors in an underground raceway that terminated inside the dwelling at a 200A main disconnect. Fortunately for the home owner, I uncovered a serious deficiency whereby the insulation on the 4/0 feeder conductors inside the panel had roasted to a crisp. Why? Because the 4/0 aluminum conductors were too small to compensate for voltage drop due to the distance from the pole barn to the dwelling. You also talk about bonding the disconnect to the panel? The term 'Bonding' ordinarily implies some type of mechanically connection, i.e., bonding a neutral bus, or an equipment busbar to/inside a service panel, etc.. In all due respect, do yourself a favor and look to hire a qualified licensed electrician!