split foyer

It's interesting because this place has a pair of attached two car garages with 4 individual openers. Two of them on one garage are on GFI and the other two not.

They were both built prior to 2008. I suppose because of the code change, neither is really wrong despite their difference. One built prior would not be retroactivly effected and the other is accepted by code now anyway.

Originally posted by AHI

They were both built prior to 2008. I suppose because of the code change, neither is really wrong despite their difference. One built prior would not be retroactivly effected and the other is accepted by code now anyway.

Well, not exactly. If you felt sure the one without a GFI wasn't safe it wouldn't matter what the code did or did not say about it. You would simply put it in the context of a safety issue rather than a code issue and advise your clients to take the safest path. Retroactive concerns are for AHJ's, not HI's.

I can't imagine that being the actual case here though. A GFI for a garage door opener makes no practical sense.

Brian G.

Honey, Why Isn't the Garage Door Working? [:-boggled