More Kentucky FPE Issues

Bain

Hi Stewart,

The KBHI wants Kentucky inspectors to refer analysis of FPE panels out to licensed electricians. We're permitted to voice concerns, but we're prohibited from making any recommendations about what to do with the panels.

What's your typical response if a homeowner summons you to a house to check out a Stab-Lok panel that has no visible signs of arcing or other problems?

Also, apparently the Board issued the advisory because home inspectors were trashing Stab-Loks, while electricians as a group were saying the panels were hunky dory. Where do you think the disparity in opinions arises from?

Please know I'm not trying to draw you into a debate. I'm just curious.

John

Originally posted by Bain

Hi Stewart,

The KBHI wants Kentucky inspectors to refer analysis of FPE panels out to licensed electricians. We're permitted to voice concerns, but we're prohibited from making any recommendations about what to do with the panels.

What's your typical response if a homeowner summons you to a house to check out a Stab-Lok panel that has no visible signs of arcing or other problems?

Also, apparently the Board issued the advisory because home inspectors were trashing Stab-Loks, while electricians as a group were saying the panels were hunky dory. Where do you think the disparity in opinions arises from?

Please know I'm not trying to draw you into a debate. I'm just curious.

John

I am no longer in business for myself and no longer on the residential side as an electrician. This is partly due the lacklustre housing market.

While in operation of my business I did receive a few calls regarding FPE panels. Some panels I replaced simply due to a service upgrade. I have also done a simple panel change out.

As far as a typical response, I would usually say I would be happy to come and take a look at it. Although there may not be any immediate signs at first, a little troublshooting can usually find the problem. I stated in another thread that I have an FPE panel in the house I'm renting. The only problem I have found myself is the inablility to find replacment breakers.

As far as the homeowner is concerned, if they have a concern about the safety of their family with an FPE panel, I'm all for their feeling safe. Most homeowners would be happy to spend the money to feel safe in their own home. I don't think this is playing on the emotions of the homeowner however. Most of the homeowners I have dealt with were well-informed on the issue and simply wanted to change out the FPE panel. In some cases, the homeowners insurance covered all or most of the cost of a service upgrade or panel change out.

The basis of the NEC and the NFPA is protection and safety from electrical and fire hazards. To me, this is what it is about, SAFETY. I lived through a house fire in 1981.

Anyway John, I hope I answered your question.