hack your meter?

John,

If you post long url links like that, please use HTML coding. Very long links like that will throw the screen off-center for those who have smaller monitors. To see how it's done, click the edit icon above your post and then look at how I've inserted that link into the sentence using code. You can also find instructions in the FAQ area.

Thanks,

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by AHI

I was searching for something else when I came across this. Is this for real?

I don't understand the theory behind how it's supposed to work.

It almost seems like they've built a tiny generator. The meter disk would be the rotor and the magnets would be the stator. As the disk spins, some of the magnetic field is converted to electricity in the wires. The effect would be infinitesimal.

I don't know why they need the water or why the magnets have to be different sizes.

Perhaps it works on an entirely different theory.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It doesn't work at all. It's a pratical joke, as the author states on the web page, underneath the video:

Please note: This video does not depict real or true events. The magnets in the video have no effect on the electric meter. This would only be considered illegal if we were tampering with the internal components of the meter. The magnets are nowhere near strong enough to slow the dial, thus it's just as useless as fallen leaves sitting on top. And connecting the magnets to a cup of water? What does this do? Nothing!!! It's bogus. We printed out some paper that looked like bills from an electric company and changed some numbers. Let this be a lesson to the internet.

I remember that in high school the teacher discussed how a strong magnet mounted on the interior wall behind a meter would either cause it to speed up or slow down, depending on the direction of the polarity.

As for the video, I don't know if it would work or not. I don't see the relevance of using a cup of water. Of course the sure way would be to tap into the drop above the meter. I'm sure that some of you have seen that before. Regardless of the method used to STEAL electricity, I'm sure that the power company would notice the difference and investigate then you would not have to worry about power usage.

Originally posted by Home Pride

Originally posted by Jim Katen

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It doesn't work at all. It's a pratical joke, as the author states on the web page, underneath the video:

But I want it to be true. Doesn't that make it true?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Jim,

As a rule, aluminum makes a poor rotor anyway. There's some bothersome issue concerning magnetism.

Poor, yes, but it still could work. After all, it's magnetism that makes it turn in the first place.

I really want this to be true. My psychologist friend calls this "motivated cognition."

- Jim Katen, Oregon