specific request item

A man wants to hire me to do an inspection on a new construction town home. He is particularly concerned about the kitchen back splash tile. He'll be calling me back later to to get more specific. At the time he was calling me from the metro and the signal was bad.

He asked me if I could bring in an expert to look at the back splash. Here's my thing. As far as back slash is concerned that is really a cosmetic issue and I suppose I could document the workmanship. What else could I do?

How should I approach this? I was thinking of suggesting that if he were concerned about the quality of the work that he make sure there is a home warranty. I could do the inspection and pay closer attention to his concerns. He would then have documentation of the beginning product. Then he could call me back at a later date, prior to the expiration of the warranty to follow up and document any deterioration or what not.

What do you think? Any suggestions. Where can I get a quick brush up on back splash. I dont know but as far as inspection is concerned, I cant see how a back splash would be that complicated.

Originally posted by AHI

A man wants to hire me to do an inspection on a new construction town home. He is particularly concerned about the kitchen back splash tile. He'll be calling me back later to to get more specific. At the time he was calling me from the metro and the signal was bad.

He asked me if I could bring in an expert to look at the back splash. Here's my thing. As far as back slash is concerned that is really a cosmetic issue and I suppose I could document the workmanship. What else could I do?

How should I approach this? I was thinking of suggesting that if he were concerned about the quality of the work that he make sure there is a home warranty. I could do the inspection and pay closer attention to his concerns. He would then have documentation of the beginning product. Then he could call me back at a later date, prior to the expiration of the warranty to follow up and document any deterioration or what not.

What do you think? Any suggestions. Where can I get a quick brush up on back splash. I dont know but as far as inspection is concerned, I cant see how a back splash would be that complicated.

It sounds like he is not happy with his builder. I would try to convert him into having an inspection on the entire home to document everything that is wrong. Many call this a warranty inspection.

Back to the back splash. When he calls you need to find out exactly what he wants or is looking for. A back splash is a design item, I don't know any specific details. They are not even required in a kitchen.

Come right out and ask him if he is getting this for any possible litigation against the builder. If he says that he is, then your price just went up. Ask him if he is working with an attorney, and then tell him that you need to talk with that attorney to get the details of what is exactly needed.

I would quote him an hourly rate with a minimum of 2 hours. This would cover your onsite visit and reporting.

Although not scheduled yet, he has ordered the full home inspection. The issue with the back splash was an add on. I am going to suggest that we proceed with the full home inspection, see what it turns up and then take it from there. Thats a starting point anyway.

I will question him about his opinion of the builder and if he is considering litigation. It's a brand new place. The way I see it, if the he is not satisfied and can point out a specific cosmetic defect, it's very simple. He needs to demand that it be fixed.

Thanks Scott....

From the info provided, I don't think it's headed for litigation. He just doesn't like the damn back splash and is looking for ammo to fire at the builder.

I'd tell him that if there are structural, mechanical, code or manufacturer's instruction type issues, I'll give 'em the ammo he needs. If it's about minor cosmetics, then I might not have the right ammo in stock.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

From the info provided, I don't think it's headed for litigation. He just doesn't like the damn back splash and is looking for ammo to fire at the builder.

I'd tell him that if there are structural, mechanical, code or manufacturer's instruction type issues, I'll give 'em the ammo he needs. If it's about minor cosmetics, then I might not have the right ammo in stock.

Thats about how I handled it. I do know a few people who could refer me to a professional who works with tile. I offered to try and hook him up with a reference so that person could provide him with a professional opinion on the tile. He seemed to accept that approach and is willing to compensate said person as well.