Tornado damage near Cartersville, GA

http://www.amstudiosonline.com/gallery/ ... #266649331

The group of photos was taken (not by me, I was busy getting the water out of my storage shed) the day after the storm came through our own tornado alley.

The power plant in the background is our own coal burning Plant Bowen, reportedly the biggest (and dirtiest) coal burning electricity producer in the country.

I was struck by one photo in the series where the deck, foundation, and subfloor/carpeting was all still intact, but the entire house, sills and all had been picked up and put down (hard) about 10-15 ft. from its origin.

Bob,

I'm told that Plant Shearer down by Macon holds that status as the biggest polluter of air. A New Yorker article a cpl of years ago featured the reporter's (John McPhee) trip on the train that carries coal to Shearer direct from Wyoming, to the tune of approx 300 carloads per day. I'm told by other sources that Shearer is the biggest coalburner on the planet Earth.

Originally posted by Phillip

Alabama has had around 25 tornado's so far this year; last year this time we had about 6.

There has been 3 that hit with in 5 miles of the house.

I'm not looking forward to the rest of the year if the weather keeps this pace up.

I'd suggest that it's time to move!

Originally posted by Jim Baird

Bob,

I'm told that Plant Shearer down by Macon holds that status as the biggest polluter of air. A New Yorker article a cpl of years ago featured the reporter's (John McPhee) trip on the train that carries coal to Shearer direct from Wyoming, to the tune of approx 300 carloads per day. I'm told by other sources that Shearer is the biggest coalburner on the planet Earth.

Yah -- wikipedia shows Bowen as 3rd largest in the nation for net generation and 3rd in greenhouse gas production.

Scherer, on the other hand, is said to be the largest single source of CO2 emissions in the US, and 20th in the world (We gots nothing on China and India for pollution...)

I guess we can both thump our chests proudly about how nasty our local plants' emissions are....

edit --- Oops, I see you're in Comer which is nowhere near Macon...

Bob,

I am a Macon ex-pat, which is why I know anything at all about it. As a measure of what its like to live there, think of how many famous blues singers come from there. James Brown, Otis Redding, Johnny Jenkins, Allman Brothers, etc. (I was fortunate enough to have attended Otis' funeral, and have visited the grave of Elizabeth Reed more than once)