conductors sharing terminals

John Dirks Jr

I have seen panels that allow two conductors to share a terminal if they are the same size. In this panel there are several terminals that share conductors of different sizes. Is this ever allowed?

It is the main panel so I figure the neutrals and grounds on the same bus are not a problem as they shoud be bonded in the main anyway.

I dont know why the shared terminals anyway as there were plenty of empty ones.

Image Insert:

2008313201529_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20033.jpg

117.9 KB

Image Insert:

2008313201644_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20034.jpg

141.62 KB

Image Insert:

2008313201811_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20043.jpg

128.66 KB

What do you think about the panel being stuffed in te corner?

Image Insert:

2008313202249_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20036.jpg

120.48 KB

Originally posted by AHI

I have seen panels that allow two conductors to share a terminal if they are the same size. In this panel there are several terminals that share conductors of different sizes. Is this ever allowed?

No.

It is the main panel so I figure the neutrals and grounds on the same bus are not a problem as they shoud be bonded in the main anyway.

Correct, but the neutrals should be one per terminal unless the wiring instructions specifically allow two, which I don't think you'll ever see on a new panel. Note the specific language in this Seimens label.

Image Insert:

2008313204017_siemens_specs.jpg

115.75 KB

I dont know why the shared terminals anyway as there were plenty of empty ones.

Other than laziness and habit, you got me. [?]

Brian G.

That's the Way Old Man Jones Did It, So That's The Way I Do It [^]

The doubled-up neutrals are wrong because you're supposed to only have one neutral per terminal.

The doubled up grounding wires might be wrong if there are two sizes under the same screw. Read the schematic on the panel.

The panel in the corner is fine.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Brian.

Bring on the electrician.

Another thing, this place had all these new work plastic boxes and the those little flip type openings were broken completely off. Because of this I saw no effective system of securing the wire connections from being tugged. I suppose I should call this out as well?

Image Insert:

2008313204122_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20030.jpg

93.94 KB

Image Insert:

2008313204241_P12245%20Bare%20Bush%20Path%20057.jpg

86.44 KB

Originally posted by AHI

Thanks Brian.

Bring on the electrician.

Another thing, this place had all these new work plastic boxes and the those little flip type openings were broken completely off. Because of this I saw no effective system of securing the wire connections from being tugged. I suppose I should call this out as well?

As long as the cables are secured within 12" of the box, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by AHI

Jim,

There was no language anywhere on the panel that mentioned anything about doubling up on terminals. You can see in the photos that they are doubled with different sizes.

The terminals can only hold more than one wire if they're marked so.

The different size thing isn't a general rule. It depends on what the terminal is listed for.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...