Great Forum!

Mr. Electric

I have checked in here quite often to see what is being discussed, and to see if I can add something to the discussion. Every time I have read the answers that are given by others I leave the site smiling. Why? Because the level of expertise that is exhibited is great! I don't need to add anything because the other answers are alway correct (at least so far)[:-party].

You guys really need to have all the Home Inspectors that you know come to the Inspectors Journal to get educated about electrical issues!

Jim P. Simmons

Here's a chance for some of you to show off your electrical expertise. The photos are from a sub-panel installed in the same building as the main panel. I haven't seen anyone connect the grounding wires this way before. Two wires are wrapped around a third, which is in turn connected to the grounding bar. I see some other issues and input is appreciated. This is going to a long report-writing session, so I'll be able to include comments for a few hours yet.

Thanks,

Image Insert:

2008310162241_IMG_2616.jpg

605.4 KB

Image Insert:

2008310162729_IMG_2619.jpg

620.06 KB

Sloppy, and obviously not done by a professional or even someone who knew what he was doing. There are only 3 conductors entering the sub panel, there is no neutral. The grounding conductor on the cable coming in looks frayed, and it's connected to the neutral bus bar instead of the grounding bus bar. All grounds should be terminated at the grounding bus bar. Way too much of the romex insulation jacket inside the enclosure.