I am new in HI world, trying to get all of my ducks in order b4 starting to work (while waiting for the license to arrive). So here is my question. I have most all of my tools that i will be needing except for a Moisture Meter. I have looked around and found them to range from $70.00 to over a grand...do i really need one that cost that much of would I be buying more bells and whistles than needed.??

Hi Charlie,

About time I see you here on the board.

I use a "Protimeter SurveyMaster Dual Mode Moisture Meter" and I think a lot of other inspectors do to.

Whatever you end up getting, be sure you get one. From what I hear more inspectors are sued over moisture intrusion issues then anything else.

I have both a Tramex encounter plus and a surveymaster and I use them both. The Tramex will scan a little deeper then the surveymaster but the surveymaster can get into tighter places plus you will often find the need to use a pin type moisture meter to gather more information. The $1000 Tramex's scan deeper but you have to understand that all of them will indicate at the first boundary layer of moisture. So if the moisture is near the surface then the GE surveymaster or the tramex work just fine but if the moisture is far from the surface like might be in the case with EFIS then you need the more expensive deeper scanning tramex models.

IMO you need both a pinless and a pin moisture meter. Unless you plan to do EFIS, which you shouldn't (Just tell them to fly Scott Patterson out and pay him to inspect it), I don't think you need the more expensive models.

When you get your pinless, experiment with it to learn the truth about what it indicates. For example get a piece of drywall and take a wet sponge and wipe a spot on one side and cover it with saran wrap. Then scan the spot from either side of the drywall. Do it with plywood and particle board also etc.

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I have both a Tramex encounter plus and a surveymaster and I use them both. The Tramex will scan a little deeper then the surveymaster but the surveymaster can get into tighter places plus you will often find the need to use a pin type moisture meter to gather more information. The $1000 Tramex's scan deeper but you have to understand that all of them will indicate at the first boundary layer of moisture. So if the moisture is near the surface then the GE surveymaster or the tramex work just fine but if the moisture is far from the surface like might be in the case with EFIS then you need the more expensive deeper scanning tramex models.

IMO you need both a pinless and a pin moisture meter. Unless you plan to do EFIS, which you shouldn't (Just tell them to fly Scott Patterson out and pay him to inspect it), I don't think you need the more expensive models.

When you get your pinless, experiment with it to learn the truth about what it indicates. For example get a piece of drywall and take a wet sponge and wipe a spot on one side and cover it with saran wrap. Then scan the spot from either side of the drywall. Do it with plywood and particle board also etc.

Chris, Oregon

Chris ,and Mark thanks to you both for the input...looks like going shopping soon