drop off in crawl space - fall hazard

This house had a basement and crawl space. The soil in the crawl space had been excavated back from the basement wall several feet - some fiberglass sheet insulation was affixed to the wall - maybe dug out to insulate.

This excavated area suddenly drops like a cliff about 6 - 8' from the rest of the crawl space. So, if a child or someone without a flashlight entered, they could drop, drop, drop.

Would you add this to the summary page as a safety issue? That is my inclination. Or would you mention it in the body. Hey, c spaces have many hazards in them in general right (not to this magnitude though).

Originally posted by CheckItOut

This house had a basement and crawl space. The soil in the crawl space had been excavated back from the basement wall several feet - some fiberglass sheet insulation was affixed to the wall - maybe dug out to insulate.

This excavated area suddenly drops like a cliff about 6 - 8' from the rest of the crawl space. So, if a child or someone without a flashlight entered, they could drop, drop, drop.

Would you add this to the summary page as a safety issue? That is my inclination. Or would you mention it in the body. Hey, c spaces have many hazards in them in general right (not to this magnitude though).

I see that condition quite often. I've never even considered mentioning it as a hazard.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What about warnings for idiot HIs like me? More than once, rather than run back outside for a ladder, I've entered those dug-out crawlspaces head first, my hands in front of me, trying to slowly, quasi-cartwheel my way inside. It never quite goes as planned, and I invariably tell myself, "Never again . . . "