Foundation Repairs

charlieb

I’m looking for a bit of input.

I’ll be performing an inspection Fri for a client with foundation problems on a conventional foundation with brick veneer siding. If the office documented the info correct, additional piers were added but the foundation contractor lifted the floor joist not the brick columns imbedded in the veneer. Would someone be kind enough to outline how the lift should have transpired? As you would expect the veneer was damaged in the lift.

The lady’s story gets worse. When the contractor attempted to underpin the fireplace/chimney the mortar began to crumble. The staff engineer designed a girdle to facilitate the lift but it also failed. Large cracks are now present in the chimney. Any comments………Bill/Kurt?

I share photos Fri PM.

Originally posted by charlieb

I’ll be performing an inspection Fri for a client with foundation problems on a conventional foundation with brick veneer siding. If the office documented the info correct, additional piers were added but the foundation contractor lifted the floor joist not the brick columns imbedded in the veneer. Would someone be kind enough to outline how the lift should have transpired?

She should have hired someone who knew what he was doing.

The lady’s story gets worse. When the contractor attempted to underpin the fireplace/chimney the mortar began to crumble. The staff engineer designed a girdle to facilitate the lift but it also failed. Large cracks are now present in the chimney. Any comments………Bill/Kurt?

When you hire morons, you get moron results?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by charlieb

I’ll be performing an inspection Fri for a client with foundation problems on a conventional foundation with brick veneer siding. If the office documented the info correct, additional piers were added but the foundation contractor lifted the floor joist not the brick columns imbedded in the veneer. Would someone be kind enough to outline how the lift should have transpired?

She should have hired someone who knew what he was doing.

When you hire morons, you get moron results?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well duh

hold it ......thats what the contractor must have said.

I'd never want to do that work but it seem simple enough to say

• escavate and under pin columns

• escavate and underpin footings for the veneer
  • small slow lifts the chimney?

So, has anyone ever delt with this?

We've lifted multi-ton stone front porches w/limestone columns & detailing. Relatively easy, in some ways, to lifting anything w/brick veneer.

You'll be lucky if it doesn't "shatter", w/lots of hairline cracks. Lifting any masonry unit assembly is tough; this guy (as already noted) didn't know what he was doing. I'm not really sure I understand what this guy did.

Pics would help.

After years of watching folks lift stuff that's settled, I'm not altogether convinced it's the best idea for a simple single family dwelling. I've seen the lifts cause as many problems as the original settlement.

Hi Charlie,

Well you lost me with the brick columns in the veneer - not something I'm familiar with. I do know that if localized lifting is done it's likely something above is going to get weird unless the lift is very gradual. Perhaps rather than LIFT, they should have just STABILIZED. I'll be really interested in what you find.

Have you got a good engineer buddy you can bounce this off of before head out to the home?

I've done some underpinning and I've lifted a few sagging buildings, but I've never lifted anything with brick veneer.

Like WJ says, I really don't have a clear vision as to what you are talking about. Pictures would help.

I also agree that it sounds like something that will have to be ... or should have been taken down, stabilized and rebricked.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by kurt

Actually, that's more where I'm at. I can't understand what the heck the guy was doing, or why(?).

My impression is that he was trying to lift the floor joists and didn't realize that this action would cause the studs to go up as well.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Yep what Jim said. More detailed info on our building methods later. Reports to get out now