Concrete slab under grass

New question courtesy of hubby:

After we determine that there isn't anything under the concrete like a gas line or whatnot (we're having people come out), he wants to know about using a bobcat with a hydraulic hammer. He can rent one. He wants to know how complicated is it to operate considering that he's never used one before. Also, if there is rebar in the concrete, will this machine break it up?

Originally posted by Bonnie Trenga

After we determine that there isn't anything under the concrete like a gas line or whatnot (we're having people come out), he wants to know about using a bobcat with a hydraulic hammer. He can rent one. He wants to know how complicated is it to operate considering that he's never used one before. Also, if there is rebar in the concrete, will this machine break it up?

I used a Bobcat a couple years ago to break up a patio and workshop slab. It has a little bit of a learning curve. If at all possible get one with treads instead of tires, they do better in sand and wet areas.

It took care of the 4" slab for the workshop and patio.. The rebar was another story. We had to cut it with a torch.

Originally posted by Bonnie Trenga

In my area, it costs about the same amount of money per hour to rent heavy equipment with the operator as it does to rent it without the operator. A pro operator is going to be way, way faster than doing it yourself while learning.

That said, every American man ought to spend some quality time messing around with heavy equipment. If he's ever driven a tractor he'll do ok with a bobcat. Just make sure he has plenty of room. (Um, the slab is far away from your house, right?)

No, the bobcat won't do much about the rebar. You'll need a torch for that. They're cheap to rent. After about 5 minutes of instruction, anyone can cut with one. (Welding with it is more tricky.)

I suggest that if he's the one to drive the bobcat, you get to be the one to use the torch.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim said: That said, every American man ought to spend some quality time messing around with heavy equipment.......

Indeed, there's something about diesel and hydraulics! I spent 5 years working at a shipping terminal operating 80,000 lb capacity lift trucks - I felt like a little kid!!!

-Brad

Jim's right. Pay someone to get rid of the thing for you. The learning curve for operating--not just joyriding and playing, but operating--a Bobcat is at least a couple of hours. They can turn over, too, which is not something you want to experience.

I used to have a John Deere 450 bulldozer. You made it move forward with the throttle, or accelerator. One day I hopped on a guy's Caterpillar D6 thinking I was a pro, and not realizing the damn thing had a deaccelerator rather than an accelerator. I came within about an eighth of an inch of sending that D6 tumbling down a mountain as a result.

Originally posted by Bain

Jim's right. Pay someone to get rid of the thing for you. The learning curve for operating--not just joyriding and playing, but operating--a Bobcat is at least a couple of hours.

On the other hand, it's cheaper than Disneyland -- and more fun.

They can turn over, too, which is not something you want to experience.

Still better than the lines at Space Mountain.

I used to have a John Deere 450 bulldozer. You made it move forward with the throttle, or accelerator. One day I hopped on a guy's Caterpillar D6 thinking I was a pro, and not realizing the damn thing had a deaccelerator rather than an accelerator. I came within about an eighth of an inch of sending that D6 tumbling down a mountain as a result.

But now you know better. Isn't that cool?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 4 months later...