Shed Inspection

I did an inspection two weeks ago. The property had a shed in the back. During the walk around I made mention of the fact that sheds are not a part of the inspection. This is also stated in the agreement and the report itself. I just received a call from this client saying the appraiser requires an inspection of the shed, in particular, the roof. Has this happened to any one else? Do some inspectors include sheds in their inspections? I believe its an FHA loan.

Hi,

I will only include one 'garage' in my fee. I give the client the option of having me inspect the garage which is part of the house or the detached garage. If they have only a detached 'garage' I'll include it as part of the inspection. If they have a shed, in addition to the garage, I charge extra for it. I charge an extra $50. for the additional time to do the shed and document those findings in the report.

Then again, I guess I'm still too lenient. I've heard tell of inspectors who charge extra to do crawlspace and/or attic or roof inspections.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I did a year in the appraisal jungle (don't ask), and that sounds like bull to me. It would have to be a pretty substantial "shed" to have any real affect on the property values. Lots of folks here have outbuildings of one sort or the other, and most of 'em got mad as hell when we told them it didn't make much difference.

Even at that, it's his job to do the appraisal "inspection", which bears no resemblance to a home inspection. If he's asking for someone to "certify" the roof, that's a horse of a VERY different color. That would mean you will assume a warranty for that roof for 2 years, as best I recall. Be sure you find out which it is before you make a move....inspection or certification?

Brian G.

Got More Licenses Than A Pack Of City Dogs [:-doggy]

Mike & Brian,

AS I recall; FHA backed loans require VC's "Valuation Conditions" as part of their conditions. One of these is on the roof. It does require a 2 year warranty if the roof gets a thumbs up. The mort. broker should be the one calling for this. He should also be prepared to pay! The appraiser was most likely unsure if the roof would make it 2 years leak free. The warranty is on leaks not a new roof.

Originally posted by charlieb

The mort. broker should be the one calling for this. He should also be prepared to pay! The appraiser was most likely unsure if the roof would make it 2 years leak free. The warranty is on leaks not a new roof.

You're right about the broker...or he may be the one leaning on the appraiser in an effort to get it for free. I think you're mistaken about the "leaks" though. If the whole roof is shot in a year, you bought it (as best I recall from Mr. Wing's class).

Brian G.

Don't Need Those Headaches [:-headache]

They're so common here I decided to include them for free. They make a great "value-added" item in my market. 95% are small, simple little structures, I'm already there, and clients seem to appreciate it. I do have limits of course, which are laid out in my contract (no business or commercial at all, no guest house or other finished spaces, only so much sq. footage, etc.). You want that kind of thing checked, you pay for it.

Come the glorious day when I can't keep up with demand, I'll probably change all of that.

Brian G.

Nowhere Near There Yet [:-weepn]

Charlie,

You're right about the broker. I just received an e-mail from her stating that my report had much more info than she needed.( I included full write-up and 8 photos). She said all she wanted was a signed letter on letterhead verifying I inspected the roof and that it would last more than 3 years, otherwise they would have it replaced before closing.FYI the roof needs to be replaced now!

Mike

Here in New Jersey most inspectors also conduct a WDI inspection. When I took the "Credentialed Wood Destroying Insect" course, we were taught that the shed is part of the transaction and needs to be inspected for WDI's. I figure, while I'm there, I might as well do a complete review.

Darren