Copper Tubing in Gas Log Fireplace

Hmmm,

Not sure. Go to the Copper Development Association's website and look around. Bet you can find it there.

Here's a snip from one of their pages:

Annealed copper tube also offers maximum ease of installation when a homeowner wants to add gas appliances or equipment, such as a gas fireplace. Copper fuel gas distribution systems are approved by national and international building and safety codes, including the National fuel gas Code, the International Mechanical Code and the International Plumbing Code.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Those look like Bubba brand gas logs. Purchased at the local big box store and plumbed with soft copper gas line. Let me guess? The line goes out the window to a LP bottle!

Gotta love that Southern ingenuity.

I would note them as a makeshift installation that should be considered unsafe. Then I would recommend that a licensed plumber should make the proper gas line connections.

"Is it just me or does Bain's puppy look like Kurt."

That's quite a compliment Scott. I haven't known Kurt too long, but I've known many German Shepherds.

Not only do they have the same country of origin, but share many characteristics:

Superior intelligence, nobility, loyal bravery, incorruptible character, great working ability and an intelligent expression that commands attention.

Copper is not suitable for gas applications due to the additives (Hydrogen sulfide I believe) is added to the gas. the gas will pit the copper and eventually produce pinholes in the line. only a lined flex tube or black iron is acceptable. I always write this up.

This may be a regional thing though...better safe than sorry.

I disagree,

Copper is used every day in lots of places to plumb gas lines. True, in some parts of the country the code bubbas and the trainers still prohibit it, but that's old school. Gas today is better refined and cleaner. It might be prohibited where you are but a blanket statement that it isn't suitable for a gas application would be an erroneous statement.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well, I don't have 2000 miles between me and he and he sometimes gets real close when at the michigan homestead, so let's get back to the topic.

Hydrogen sulfide is never added to natural gas. It kills in seconds and I have seen it personally cause a death in approx 15seconds - period. A mercaptan is added, usually a juniper extract and yes it is corrosive.

The real issue is the type of copper m,n,k,l etc and method of fastening. I have also personally seen copper gas lines crumble in my hand while under pressure - 4-6ozs while the gas was delivered to the meter at 80lbs on a 1/2" copper line with jacket.

Yes it can and is used by many tradespeople in many places, but you can not make any blanket statement that it is or is not code compliant because of regional differences.

I would write the condition shown in a minute! Does not make sense regardless of all the other fall du ral.

Sorry Les,

I'll try to behave. This, by the way, is my canine lookalike.

20068362328_Myalterego.jpg

I've gained almost all of my friggin weight back. Ha! Just noticed that my avatar is gunning down my alter ego. Talk about your conflicted personality!

My apologies Wingfoot, but we've very rudely jacked you bigtime. Just for that, you're entitled to hijack threads from Bain and I one of these days.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Bain

Um, well. But back to the drifting filament. It's not only my dog . . . I, too, bear a faint resemblance to Kurt.

Could it be?

Cousin Kurt?

What is it w/you Kentucky guys? You think everyone is your cousin.....

Originally posted by hausdok

My apologies Wingfoot, but we've very rudely jacked you bigtime. Just for that, you're entitled to hijack threads from Bain and I one of these days.

OT - OF!!!

M.

No problem, ya'll are cheap entertainment. We may even get two pages out of it.