Help identifying wood siding.

I'm having trouble finding material to repair a clients garage.

I'm not all that good with wood siding to be honest but I'm trying to make the guy happy.

Added pictures for reference.

So what is it and where can I get it.

Up in Minnesota for if that helps at all.

PXL_20240628_165523322.jpg

PXL_20240628_165518794.jpg

PXL_20240628_165513699.jpg

PXL_20240628_165506664.jpg

PXL_20240628_165456765.jpg

Hi, 

Well, there used to be a company called Blackstock Lumber Co. on Elliot Ave. in Seattle that had been in business since 1912 that produced custom-milled lumber profiles, but they sold out in 2017 and I don't see anything about a replacement company when I search them. They used to be able to reproduce any profile of lumber one would need to do a restoration, including that profile, I'm sure. You're going to have to find a company similar to Blackstock, I think, if you want to obtain clapboard siding that's milled like that. I suggest checking in Old House Journal for an advertiser that does custom milling.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Okay, 

Here is an example of the kind of millwork company you need. I've checked all of their catalogs of their standard millwork, but that pattern isn't there. However, they say on their website that if they are given a piece of the existing old pattern that they will match it. I'm sure if they do that, they charge setup fees for the time it takes to configure their equipment, then they probably charge by the hour for the time it takes to mill the lumber plus the cost of the wood per linier foot. Years ago, at Blackstock, that's what I had to pay to get 1300 board feet of custom milled tongue-and-groove flooring to match what was in a 100+ year old home. This is the type of firm you'll need. Advise your client that it won't be cheap. They might want to consider using clapboard (beveled) siding without the tongue and groove, installed using a story stick to ensure you get the exact spacing and overlap.

Custom Wood Milling | Custom Lumber Milling | Siding Pattenrs and Moulding (jwlumber.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Any decent wood shop with a planer and shaper could manufacture it from scratch for you. If you're lucky, they might even be able to do it without the planer if they can find off-the-shelf clapboards with the right bevel and thickness. 

Finding the wood stock will be the trick. You really want vertical grain for a product like this - preferably old growth. 

• Like 1