Fire glass gas fireplace

The manufacturer's instruction would have to show that the burner tray assembly was tested to a specific ANSI standard to allow it to be lit manually. 

Without that information, I would say that it needs a direct ignition device and a flame safeguard device.

You're actually supposed to use an extended tip lighter to light it, not throw a match on top of it, though I guess a match thrown on top would probably also work.

This video will educate you about fireplaces with fireglass.

Well, I was going to link a YouTube video about H Burners and fireglass but keep getting a 403 Forbidden error when I do so.

Have to look it up online yourself.  "How to Install an H-Burner and Fire Glass in Your Fireplace".

This reminds me of my youth, dropping a match into the burner pot of an oil-fired cookstove in the kitchen. Occasionally there'd be too much oil in the pot and it would blow soot for a while. Eventually there'd be piles of carbon from all those matches.

Unfortunately, gas refuses to stay in one place, so there is a hazard if the flame is not there to ignite the gas right away.

It looks like those things can be fitted with a pilot light for improved safety, so there's your recommendation.