Turning on gas valve at fireplace - Do you?

When a fireplace has a gas starter where you turn on the gas with one of those square keys and use a match to ignite it, do you turn it on to see if it works?  I do.  I do not put a match to it but turn it off immediately just to see if gas flows. I am just wondering if others turn the gas on briefly?

I'd rather not do it, but I had a complaint many years ago that there was something wrong with the gas line to the fireplace.  They had to spend a lot of money to fix it, and I didn't discover it during my inspection.  

8 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

When a fireplace has a gas starter where you turn on the gas with one of those square keys and use a match to ignite it, do you turn it on to see if it works?  I do.  I do not put a match to it but turn it off immediately just to see if gas flows. I am just wondering if others turn the gas on briefly?

I'd rather not do it, but I had a complaint many years ago that there was something wrong with the gas line to the fireplace.  They had to spend a lot of money to fix it, and I didn't discover it during my inspection.  

Yes, same as you.

Depending on the home and situation, I usually open the valve to see if there is gas, sometimes I light them, but not always. Usually any of those types of gas logs/appliances  are old and I am recommending them to be replaced. Every chimneysweep I know will say the same thing. 

I think the original question is about gas log lighters for solid fuel fireplaces, not gas log sets. No pilot, no thermocouple. Just holes in a pipe.

I have to turn the valve to know if it functions (gas comes out the holes).  I never thought it necessary to go get a match or lighter to prove that the gas is flammable. 

• Like 1