Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to open a discussion about ethics... yes right and wrong. Sometimes the line is blurred (most times in a real estate transaction it is...) I am generally always on the side of my client. Yesterday I did an inspection for a divorcing father. I am known to be thorough and he was a very detail oriented client. (ie: anal) I spoke with him today and he tells me he managed to renegotiate 40K off a home that, in my mind, was in pretty good shape for it's age. It was owned by an elderly couple going into a home. I am not a seasoned vet but not wet behind the ears either and I am just reflecting on some of the finer details that I openly talk about during my inspection. I'd hate for a problem that I think is minor for me become an issue down the road because I neglected to include it in a report, so for me, everything goes in the report. This time, it cost an elderly couple 40K.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to open a discussion about ethics... yes right and wrong. Sometimes the line is blurred (most times in a real estate transaction it is...) I am generally always on the side of my client. Yesterday I did an inspection for a divorcing father. I am known to be thorough and he was a very detail oriented client. (ie: anal) I spoke with him today and he tells me he managed to renegotiate 40K off a home that, in my mind, was in pretty good shape for it's age. It was owned by an elderly couple going into a home. I am not a seasoned vet but not wet behind the ears either and I am just reflecting on some of the finer details that I openly talk about during my inspection. I'd hate for a problem that I think is minor for me become an issue down the road because I neglected to include it in a report, so for me, everything goes in the report. This time, it cost an elderly couple 40K.

I don't see an ethical question here. At least not for the home inspector. We can't be modulating our commentary based on second guesses about how negotiations between two other people will turn out. It's about all I can do to control my own actions; I can't be worried about attempting to control the actions of others.

I report one way. I don't change for good or bad based on what anyone, including my client asks or tells me. Negotiations is some one else worry.

How would you feel if you soft peddle or omit the "minor" items and then your client comes after you when he sells next week or next year and I or someone like me points out these issues.

No ethical question at all for me. I control what I do and not what someone does or does not do with the information I provide.

Great post for discussion. I'm hired to find all the issues with buildings. It's a lot of information so my report is clear on what are minor things vs material defects. What the clients, agents & lawyers do with that info after my job is done has nothing to do with my work.

It sucks to hear a stories of nice folks getting screwed, but we don't hear the whole story from both sides.

I learned early in life that there are always people that don't give a shit what others think of them as long as they're making an extra buck. Our profession seems to attract them.

I just read tonight: "The world isn't completely filled with assholes. They're just strategically placed so that you'll come across one every day".