Leaking Pex Fittings

emalernee

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014622215339_DSCF0025.jpg

32.84 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014622215429_DSCF0027.jpg

42.6 KB

Cannot find a picture on the internet that looks like the fittings above. Looks like Brass fittings with a black steel compression ring.

House was built in 1978. Recalls mention Zern with stainless steel rings and IPex with a zinc rich fitting. Can someone direct me to a website that I can add to the report.

If it is condensation ... why not also be evident on the fitting at the lower right connection? I'm referring to the upper photo.

Those locations not that far apart.

CF - Good observation about condensation.

EM - Any more similar deterioration noted at the cold water output of the PEX Manifold for the cold water lines? How about other cold water locations away from the manifold in other rooms/walls, etc.?

Talked to owner today as I was picking up Radon CRM (22.3 pCi/L, maybe that is causing it, said with tongue-in-cheek). PEX is 10 years old. Took another closeup picture of a fitting behind the well pressure tank.. Owner runs dehumidifier, setting two feet away, all summer.

Could someone not have put as much pressure on the rings as is required? Can the clamping tool get out of calibration?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201462415353_DSCF0045.jpg

31.27 KB

Bigger problem may be this 200 Amp panel next to the john.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20146242020_DSCF0048.jpg

35.38 KB

If it is condensation ... why not also be evident on the fitting at the lower right connection? I'm referring to the upper photo.

Those locations not that far apart.

Good thought but I'm thinking there will be much more condensation building up and running on a vertical line than horizontal, especially if there are multiple metal fittings on the vertical.

It they stored certain chemicals or fertizler in the same area it may have caused the corrision.

Drift.....

I put a small bag of Scott's Turf Builder in my (large) boiler room. The 8" cast iron fittings on the steam risers all developed a thin patina of rust in about 3 days. No condensation, very dry...had to be the turf builder.

Could someone not have put as much pressure on the rings as is required? Can the clamping tool get out of calibration?

Click to Enlarge

31.27 KB

..........yes, the tools are adjustable. There is a "go, no-go" template piece that is supposed to be used on every fitting crimp to check tolerance. How often do you suppose that's done?[:-paperba. I've adjusted my 3/4" crimper once in the past 20 years........Greg

Click to Enlarge

31.27 KB

..........yes, the tools are adjustable. There is a "go, no-go" template piece that is supposed to be used on every fitting crimp to check tolerance. How often do you suppose that's done?[:-paperba. I've adjusted my 3/4" crimper once in the past 20 years........Greg

I think the "go no-go" calibration tool is supposed to be used by the installer the first fitting every day, not necessarily on every crimp. Also, each manufacturer will have their own tool and test method, not interchangeable.

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

If the space has to be dehumidified for months at a time it's a pretty hostile environment. I'd say condensation too.

In our area of Ohio if you don't run a dehumidifier during the summer you will have a damp basement.

Thanks for all the comments. The plumber that installed the system is coming out to check it out. If I hear of a resolution, I will inform all.

Click to Enlarge

31.27 KB

I think the "go no-go" calibration tool is supposed to be used by the installer the first fitting every day, not necessarily on every crimp. Also, each manufacturer will have their own tool and test method, not interchangeable.

........you're right about the tools not necessarily being interchangeable - but in practice (on the job site) materials are frequently a mixed bag - so unless you are talking about radically different styles of crimp, such as s/s cinch rings or expanding pex rings, one tool will be used on various mfg. rings. As far as how often to check tolerance, I've yet to see frequency spelled out by any manufacturer. Daily may be just right for a 50 crimp-day, not so much for a 500-crimp day[;)].....Greg

• 1 month later...

Talked to owner today as I was picking up Radon CRM (22.3 pCi/L, maybe that is causing it, said with tongue-in-cheek). PEX is 10 years old. Took another closeup picture of a fitting behind the well pressure tank.. Owner runs dehumidifier, setting two feet away, all summer.

Click to Enlarge

31.27 KB

Bigger problem may be this 200 Amp panel next to the john.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20146242020_DSCF0048.jpg

35.38 KB

Yeah that toilet would definitely cause issues with any electrical inspector Ive ever met.[:-bigeyes