ventilation

ericwlewis

today's inspection was "pre-inspected" by my clients contractor friend and given the "I don't think you'll have any problems with this place" seal of approval [:-paperba

just pulling into the driveway and glancing at the roof I knew that wasn't going to be the case.

The 8 year old roof was curling and had fiberglass mat showing through in spots. The valleys had cracking in them. There seemed to be an adequate amount of roof vents and perforated vinyl soffits. The plumbing vent "boots" had caulking wiped all over them and the decking was obviously wavy......

I entered the attic through the garage scuttle of the 1983 built ranch to see OSB decking when I was expecting to see plywood. As I neared the "other end" of the attic located above the bathrooms and bedrooms, the decking became darker and darker until I reached the far end where the decking was completely stained a dark gray. Along the way I noticed that the new roof vents were approximately 1/2 restricted by the new OSB, there were no ducts coming from the bathroom ventilator fans and I could not see any daylight coming from the soffit area. I believe that 8 years ago the roofer came in and found the damaged plywood, replaced it with OSB and did a poor job installing the new roof. The problem of very poor ventilation was never solved and has continued for the last 8 years.

The reason for my belief of plywood to OSB replacement is based partially on the fact that the subfloor is plywood. I viewed this from the crawlspace which was also a goldmine of moisture [:-bigeyes

So yes, after they invest the inital $25,000 in repairs,"I don't think you'll have any problems with this place"[:-taped]

PS The guys that wrapped the window sills didn't do them any favors either.

If there was new roof venting added when the roof was done/re done (by roofers) It's not likely that they added soffit venting and pulled the insulation back to allow it to work. I have seen this before. And of course adding moisture from bathrooms is always a good idea. Good find.