What do you charge for re-inspections?

It's not exactly apples and oranges, but they aren't the same either. The risk is higher on a reinspection.

Agreed. I did my job. I did what my states SOP required I do. The client has the information. At this point it's now up to the client to take the information they were given and follow up on the responsiblity of having a licensed / qualified whomever, to make not only the repairs I've noted, but also any others they may feel, need to be done. I'm never going to put myself in a pissing match with someone who claims they're qualified and hires themselves out to be what they claim they are.

I don't need to beat my chest and show off. I layed myself out there the first time. It's broke. Let someone else decide how they'll fix it and stand behind their work.

No need to ever get involved in a pissing match. I can't remember the last time anyone got in my skin.

It's one of the beautiful things about construction; it's a black and white gig. Very few shades of grey.

If shades of grey show up, it's usually because we can't see something, or can't verify all stages of a process. All you gotta do is say you can't see it.

As a general rule, I try to avoid reinspections, but they're not complicated; higher risk, but not complicated.

Maybe they could go back themselves, take some good pics, and email them to you for comments? Just an idea. I have proposed this in the past, but never done it, never received a pic from a client.

But it shows you want to help, and then if there is trouble in the pics, you can negotiate a reinspection fee, or they will get smart and pull out.

To answer the original question: "What do you charge for re-inspections?"

We don't charge any more than what we get for partial inspections or consulting. $325.00 for the first hour and $175.00 each subsequent half hour. There's situations where buyers get themselves in a pickle and the reinspect is well worth the fee.

I don't care for them only because usually most items on the list weren't even addressed and those items that were, weren't done correctly. Settlement is usually later the same day and everyone panics, so I'll tell 'em how much to escrow to get it done right.

I just noticed it's in Dansville. I visited family there every year of my childhood. Watchin' all the gliders was cool.

. . . So, how would you charge for you time in this scenario?

$170 per hour plus a flat fee for travel.
That would be fair, but it wouldn't fly in my area. I understand what's up, but the buyers--and I've seen the looks on their faces a gazillion times--invariably feel as if they're victims of a bait-and-switch scheme when the fee for a recheck approximates the initial fee.

Again, I get it. But the buyers seldom do.

They'll get it if you have a reinspection clause in your contract and make sure you explain your policy to them before they sign the contract. My clause is pretty clear. I've underlined and bolded some areas here:

"Our fees are based on a single visit to the property and the time it takes to write and deliver the report. If additional visits or reports are required for any reason, an additiona fee of $XXX.00 per half hour will be charged for any time spent; including, but not limited to, additional inspection time, research report preparation, consultation, traveling, time waiting (In our office or elsewhere) to testify, and court appearances."

If they've read it and you've carefully explained it to them before they sign the contract there is no question in anyone's mind. They should not feel like they've been bait and switched; doing a home inspection is not plural it's singular - if you're going to do more than one inspection you should be adequately compensated for it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

. . . So, how would you charge for you time in this scenario?

$170 per hour plus a flat fee for travel.

That would be fair, but it wouldn't fly in my area. I understand what's up, but the buyers--and I've seen the looks on their faces a gazillion times--invariably feel as if they're victims of a bait-and-switch scheme when the fee for a recheck approximates the initial fee.

Again, I get it. But the buyers seldom do.

The reinspection fee is printed in my pre-inspection agreement, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Also, I'd charge a travel fee if the house were 70 miles away but not if it were in my regular service area. Also, I almost never spend more than an hour. So the fee is, most of the time, a flat $170, which is about 1/3 of an average home inspection fee, and seems like a reasonable percentage.

Heck, I think I'm giving them a good deal.

Jim, you are giving them a good deal. I state the reinspection criteria in the Pre Ins Agr and in the inspection report as well. I limit the number of items to be reinspected to five and the client has to have a definative list. I will not look at homeowner repairs.

I charge about the same with extra for a written report.

I get one or two a year. They are generally a hassle because as Bill stated, the s--t is never done right or at all.

Maybe they could go back themselves, take some good pics, and email them to you for comments? Just an idea. I have proposed this in the past, but never done it, never received a pic from a client.

But it shows you want to help, and then if there is trouble in the pics, you can negotiate a reinspection fee, or they will get smart and pull out.

That won't work this time around. My client is in Alaska, and is heavily reliant on their agent (also their daughter, so not so bad as it sounds). They looked at 7 houses in two days and only vaguely remember this place.

A re-inspection is pretty important in this case, although I think he's already buying too many of the seller's unfinished projects to even consider allowing her to tackle the long list of repairs. As I said before, if it were mine I'd let her fix the roof so the ceiling is still in place at closing and get concessions for everything else, and I'd bank on having to redo her repair.

I think I have my answer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you all for your input.