Just like that

My life has changed. Fractured my T-6 vertebra Sunday afternoon on a mountain bike ride. Laying in the dirt with my spine feeling like when you bump your funny bone I thought of the day before when I just got my yearly physical and my doctor gave me a AAA rating. No operation needed. Just have to ride it out for 3 months with a turtle shell support. No doubt it will take a few months after that to get to where I can crawl again.

Fork, fork, fork![:-crazy]

Thanks guys.

I've been doing the home inspection gig for 5 years now. Don't get much business. Get great reviews from my clients.

Do you know of some online training I could take regarding gas furnaces, on demand wh, and appliances that is not geared to the brand new inspector?

Or books?

So, remember me when you think you've got problems!

Do you know of some online training I could take regarding gas furnaces, on demand wh, and appliances that is not geared to the brand new inspector?

Or books?

So, remember me when you think you've got problems!

The Carson Dunlop online courses are fair, and you can get CE credits for them. I'm not saying they're the greatest for technical detail, just general knowledge mostly.

Take care of your back. Remember that's your spinal column in there.

Sorry about the accident. One thing I do when I'm laid up is to take recent reports of mine, go through them looking for major findings then research them as deeply and thoroughly as I can. 'Boldy go where no inspector has gone before'.[;)]

Oh, take typing lessons too.

Marc

I don't like on demand water heaters for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is I've never found them to provide any appreciable utility cost savings. The mfg's. all show savings based on their lab study; put them in the real world, and they end up costing more money because kids take showers that last as long as the hot water, i.e., they never get out of the shower.

If they're at point of service, OK. If they're in the basement and you have long runs to the kitchen and upstairs bathrooms, they're a pain in the butt.

Thanks everyone. I feel like such an idiot, crashing and all. I just wasn't looking ahead far enough. Chit happened! Packed dirt into the front of my helmet, felt like a sledge hammer. Funny bone buzz down my spine plus heat. That lasted for 10 minutes or so. Had to ride out 1hr. Flew me out of town to see a Neurologist that night. But wife drove me back the next day. Did this really happen? Yep!

I did almost the same routine in 79 via a hang glider.[:-paperba That got me into my 25 yr claims adjusting job.

Mama don't let your babies grow up to be daredevils. Teach them to be doctors and lawyers and such.

Sorry to hear it, Denny.

Some advice, learned the hard way:

Take narcotics when you need them, but never to excess.

Don't even look at a Tylenol, Advil, or asprin tablet.

Do what the docs tell you to do.

The physical therapist is your friend.

When you get depressed, keep reminding yourself that one year from now, this will be a memory.

Hi Denny,

Listen to Jim, he knows all about serious back pain. I know a little about it too. I fractured 4 vertebrae in 1968 and have been living with them ever since. Falling last May and breaking all of those little flange thingies from my rib cage to my pelvis didn't help. I too had to wear one of those ninja turtle shells for a few months.

Struggled with the pain for a while when I got back to work. Then the doc prescribed anti-inflammatories during the day and vicodin to sleep. Worked like a charm. Been wearing one of those heavy back supports like the guys in H.D. wear for the past couple of months. Really need it when I'm sitting at a desk trying to type.

Get a really solid thick pillow and put it under your knees at night. If you can get your doctor to prescribe it and your insurance to pay for it, get a sleep number bed so you can tailor the bed to your progress.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I wasn't in much pain. They suggested an anti-nausea drug in case I got motion sickness on the plane. I used to do 50+ spins sometimes in my hang glider to loose altitude. But then I thinks to meself, what if I barfed while lying on my back all hog tiee up? Shoot me up baby. Oh yeah, and give me some of that lalalalala stuff too. And away we went on a 100 mile flight to Redding CA.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111210164935_1204012151.jpg

54.51 KB

• 1 month later...

26k to fly me to Redding. One x-ray there followed up by 15 minutes with the neurologist next morning, then released by noon to be driven home by my wife, 41k. The fracture was in place, no surgery needed, just a chit load of money which the insurance has no doubt lowered somewhat. Doc said don't lift over 10lbs, walking ok, you can ride an indoor bike, shower and sleep without the brace on, otherwise wear the brace and we'll see you in 3 months for the final exam and end of the brace.

3 months would be 3-4. I got a call from the scheduling nurse a few weeks later. She said she had me set up for 3-29? WTF, I cried. Oh, how bout 3-14? Ahhh, I grunted. Well, would 2-22 work? Duh, I rejoiced.

So I gets da call a few days ago that the doc can't make the 2-22 date so it has to be rescheduled to 2-15. Chit kicking, I exuded.

I've been walking 1.5 hrs 3+ days a week and lately getting in about 1300 vertical on jeep roads. In between a couple of days on the indoor bike for 1hr sitting straight up like a Marine Corp Drill Sargent. But, next to no upper body stuff at all. Color me yeller.

About a week ago I started my first baby push-ups and ended up with very sore arms for about 4 days. I got the ok yesterday from the docs office to ride leaning over onto the handlebars of my stationary bike, do push-ups, and go swimming.

Eat your hearts out! I was able to do 5 girl push-ups yesterday.

Soon, soon, I will be able to crawl for a living again. [:-party]

My neck is a little crunchier than it used to be and my wife can hear it sometimes when I get a little click out of it. No pain though.[:-yuck]