A Tinkerer With an OCD Personality To Rival Chad's

No,

I don't think it's air operated. Look closely, you can see fuel in that plastic line. This is an old tech miniature V12 diesel engine. That's why there isn't any plugs or an oil sump - the fuel is doing the oiling.

Probably had to use an electric drill to get the thing started.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's amazing.

I'm not an engine guy.....I was wondering where the ignition system was, so I thought it might be "diesel".

Mike, you should do that for the Packard.

What? Miniaturize it? I've already got a scale model sitting right here on my desk.

It was given to me by one of my former students last year. Sitting here staring at it day after day is what prompted me to get off my duff and finally track one down and purchase it and it's what gets me over to my friend's house to work on it pretty steadily.

If you mean a diesel Packard engine, it was Packard that built the first diesel engine for aircraft - a radial - way back in the 1920's. It was installed in a Stinson monoplane. They built a lot of marine diesel engines too. In 1954 they developed a lightweight diesel prototype intended for automotive production. Those were in-line 6-cylinder, V8, V12 and V16 models. Aluminum, turbocharged, four valves per cylinder - state of the art for '54. However by then they'd purchased ailing Studebaker and ended up with too much on their plate. The Detroit plant shut down in '56, the last two years of production were re-badged Studes made in the South Bend plant and by July of 1958 Packard was no more.

I'm pretty sure one of those diesel prototypes survives in a Patrician or some such somewhere. I think I recall reading about it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No sounds pretty deffinative. I don't see any combustion taking place here.

All of the engines in the site you gave above have an ignition source. Non exists in your OP. Any Fuel needs to be metered in some way, either by carburation (metering valve) or injection (mixed with air either way). Only two stroke engines lubricate the bottom end with the fuel mix (this is a four stroke), and even they have a closed sump (essential for fuel distribution).

Truth is, there is no way to determine from the video and compressed air is the most plausible explanation (often used with model steam engines as well).

Disagreement aside, it is an amazing feat of machining and a well done video nonetheless.

No sounds pretty deffinative. I don't see any combustion taking place here.

All of the engines in the site you gave above have an ignition source. Non exists in your OP. Any Fuel needs to be metered in some way, either by carburation (metering valve) or injection (mixed with air either way). Only two stroke engines lubricate the bottom end with the fuel mix (this is a four stroke), and even they have a closed sump (essential for fuel distribution).

Truth is, there is no way to determine from the video and compressed air is the most plausible explanation (often used with model steam engines as well).

Disagreement aside, it is an amazing feat of machining and a well done video nonetheless.

You're right, my bad. It is run by compressed air. The guy, Mr. Patelo, spends upward of 1300 hours per motor and is apparently pretty prolific. From what I can gather using Google translate, he favors models of marine engines of open oiler diesel types, thus the decidedly slow rpm and the familiar old ships engine room sound.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No fuel. Air pressure operated. No ignition system. No exhaust fumes. No heat. No cooling system. No oiling system. No less of an accomplishment.

Indeed.

But I think there's at least part of a cooling system. Check out the bombas de refrigeracion (cooling pump) at 7:35 and the enfriador de agua dulce (water cooler) at 7:45. Then at 8:15, you can see piping betweeen them and a cam that seems to actually operate the pump. Though it doesn't seem that any liquid is actually being pumped anywhere.