A bad case of the flue!

Doesnt really add much to the house 'lines,' does it. (needs a flag or pennant) Bigger question is does it work well.

My first house (owned) was an end unit town house with three stories of exterior wood stove chimney. Had one hell of a time keeping a draft on a cold day. Worked well with a raging fire but getting it started was tough and keeping a draft with a low flame was nigh on impossible. Got tired of dragging wood through the basement anyway . . .

Doesnt really add much to the house 'lines,' does it. (needs a flag or pennant) Bigger question is does it work well.

My first house (owned) was an end unit town house with three stories of exterior wood stove chimney. Had one hell of a time keeping a draft on a cold day. Worked well with a raging fire but getting it started was tough and keeping a draft with a low flame was nigh on impossible. Got tired of dragging wood through the basement anyway . . .

That 3 stories of flue should have worked in favor of a draft. Was it undersized?

Marc

That 3 stories of flue should have worked in favor of a draft. Was it undersized?

Marc

Guess that's possible. Chimney was block with a liner and there when we moved in. With three sides exposed to the weather I had always figured the chimney was mostly cold air most of the time. Worked great once a draft was established, lot less effective as the stove cooled off (fire died).

Inlaws slept on the pullout in the basement on one visit and set off all the smoke alarms trying to relight the stove one winter morning.[:P]