A San Fran Cable Ride From Yesteryear.

Exactly. A failing power grid isn't going to support maglev. Even in Shanghai, it's all show biz, it's not practical.

I'm not even sure high speed rail would work here. Folks like their cars. I know I do.

But, if you ever get to ride a high speed rail anywhere, you fall in love.

$12 to go 200 miles in 40 minutes. It kinda gets under your skin.

I mean, how cool would it be to take a high speed to NY, then catch another to upstate........"hey honey, lets go see the Adirondacks this afternoon....."

Oh, I know. It was more of a rhetorical question.

And honestly, I don't know if it's a good idea for America, or not. For it to actually be effective, there'd have to be all manner of other travel infrastructure. Secondary rail, mass transit in urban centers, etc.

If you take high speed somewhere that doesn't have any means to get anywhere else, what's the point?

Oh, I know. It was more of a rhetorical question.

And honestly, I don't know if it's a good idea for America, or not. For it to actually be effective, there'd have to be all manner of other travel infrastructure. Secondary rail, mass transit in urban centers, etc.

If you take high speed somewhere that doesn't have any means to get anywhere else, what's the point?

We need to be able to detach our car pods and go spinning off from the main cable routes.

Lots of times when I'm following a big rig, I wish I had a tow bar on the front of my truck. Then if someone wants to latch onto my back bumper, why not? [:-party]

I see freight trains hauling new cars across the country. Why not offer rides to the public, including their vehicles?

Thanks, guys. Hey, that proves it's a good idea.

Like the fart-sucking toilet seat, a lot of my best ideas have already been tried.

Rail on our island is dying a slow death. All the short lines have been turned into cycling paths. We're planning a 20 mile ride tomorrow.

The passenger service from Victoria on the south end to almost halfway up the island, a day tripper, has been halted as of March because the ties are all rotten (surprise, surprise) and the tracks need a few million $$ in repair. That railway is doomed, unless they put auto carrier cars on it.

I'm with Kurt. Personal vehicles are likely here to stay but a major technical hurdle has to be surmounted first...How to get the energy we need, in a form that will work, to power our vehicles without further impacting the ecosytem. Before long, we'll be feeling the full consequence of displacing massive amounts of carbon from deep in the earth to the atmosphere.

Marc

Bus travel in China is amazing. They're like little airports with concourses, things run on time, everyone uses them, etc. You can get wireless wherever you are, so you can work on the bus.

I took the bus to St. Louis recently; it was $50. It took less time than dinking around at the airport. It's called MegaBus.

Anyone else have MegaBus service in their parts of the country?

• 1 month later...

I thought of this thread Monday during a trip to Philly with the grandkids. A trolley line runs past the zoo. This car looks like it belongs in a museum, rather than still traveling the streets of Filthydelphia.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1 049.jpg

709.56 KB

There was interesting old stuff inside the zoo too. After a question from one of the kids, I needed to do some quick thinking. I hope I can still 'wrestle' at 80 or 90 like this old guy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspectorjoe/5879414533/