Panelboard mounting

Robert E Lee

I did an inspection last week where the panel board was mounted directly to the concrete block wall, this panel was installed 5 years ago and there was evidence that the lead anchors were corroding due to moisture. I called for an electrician correct saying that "The panel needed to be mounted on a wood panel". I am getting kick back from the electrician saying that code does not require mounting on a board. I can't recall seeing a panel that wasn't mounted on a board of some kind. The only code reference I find is 312.2A that calls for a 1/4" air gap between the enclosure and the wall. Any other thoughts?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201137202012_P3010090.jpg

39.14 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201137202110_P3010092.jpg

45.5 KB

2008 NEC, 312.2:

In damp or wet locations, surface type enclosures within the scope of this article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet or cutout box....

Little water seems to have entered the enclosure, but the damage is already done. Needs to be fixed before it falls off the wall.

Marc

I did an inspection last week where the panel board was mounted directly to the concrete block wall, this panel was installed 5 years ago and there was evidence that the lead anchors were corroding due to moisture. I called for an electrician correct saying that "The panel needed to be mounted on a wood panel". I am getting kick back from the electrician saying that code does not require mounting on a board. I can't recall seeing a panel that wasn't mounted on a board of some kind. The only code reference I find is 312.2A that calls for a 1/4" air gap between the enclosure and the wall. Any other thoughts?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201137202012_P3010090.jpg

39.14 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201137202110_P3010092.jpg

45.5 KB

I think the electrician is correct, but I'm not 100% sure.

Oh, by the way you have a great name!

A couple things.....

Lead doesn't corrode. The corrosion is from the other fasteners, whatever they are.

I don't think a wood panel is necessary anymore; there just has to be an air gap.

I'd be more concerned about where the water is coming from than the corrosion on the panel.

Don't know the exact wording in your report, but if you said the panel "should be mounted on a wood backing" rather than "needs to be", then you wouldn't be relying on a code requirement, and no one could deny it would be good advice. [:)] That is how I sometimes avoid the "not in the code" rebuttal. Mind you, that doesn't get it fixed, either. [:(]

Brandon mentions the dimples which normally create a small air gap behind the panel. Looks like they are lacking in the pics.

Is that a cold basement, and is that moisture from condensation on the cold metal?