Name for framing?

Robert Jones

This home was built in 1995. All metal framing from floor through attic. Is there a technical name for this type of attic framing? Still considered a truss? I was surprised to run into the spray in insulation as well. I am including a pic of the crawl space cavity as well.

BTW, that isn't UFFI is it?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010122219511_IMGP1281%20(Medium).jpg

64.81 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101222194111_IMGP1280%20(Medium).jpg

52.49 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101222194127_IMGP1284%20(Medium).jpg

66.76 KB

I agree with Terry. Gusset plates are what gives off a truss.

I wonder if those purlins are upside down. There's greater forces pushing down than up.

Noticed that the long side of the decking panels and the purlins are still at right angles to each other, which is important. Rated sheathing is rated only along the long edge.

Looks like expanding XPS foam.

I'd call it steel framed. I inspected one for my niece a few years ago.

Marc

In JLC and NAHB pubs when they refer to it they commonly term it "Light Gauge Steel Framing" tbut the codes refer to it as "Cold Formed Steel Framing"

There are whole sections on it in the code. You want to look at R505, R603 and R804.

Use these links to take you to the Seattle building code chapters.

http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_r ... Floors.pdf

http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_r ... uction.pdf

http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_r ... uction.pdf

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Cold formed. The primary structure is cold rolled steel channel; the light gauge stuff is for purlins, partitions, and interior framing.

That's what it looks like in the pic, anyway.

It looks like an interesting house. I've only ever seen one.

How was this one?

Cold formed. The primary structure is cold rolled steel channel; the light gauge stuff is for purlins, partitions, and interior framing.

That's what it looks like in the pic, anyway.

It looks like an interesting house. I've only ever seen one.

How was this one?

When I was getting ready to retire from the military, steel-framed house construction was on my short list of possible businesses I was investigating. I even drove all the way down to Texas from Colorado to investigate on steel home manufacturer's product and to discuss purchase of an exclusing territory. In the end, though I thought they had a lot of promise, I also thought they weren't mainstream enough yet for me to sink that much money into.

After nearly 15 years at this gig and never having inspected even one, I'm glad I didn't drop the coin on that "territory" or I'd have been camped out under an overpass years ago.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks for the replies and information. The home was really sound. Extremely well insulated, even the foundation walls had insulation. The only real item I could tell needed some improvement was the attic ventilation. The roof had a continuous ridge vent but no soffit venting. Some of the sheathing was showing fungal growth, which must have been an ongoing issue as there were two attic fans installed.

Matt there was red iron present.

When I was getting ready to retire from the military, steel-framed house construction was on my short list of possible businesses I was investigating. I even drove all the way down to Texas from Colorado to investigate on steel home manufacturer's product and to discuss purchase of an exclusing territory. In the end, though I thought they had a lot of promise, I also thought they weren't mainstream enough yet for me to sink that much money into.

After nearly 15 years at this gig and never having inspected even one, I'm glad I didn't drop the coin on that "territory" or I'd have been camped out under an overpass years ago.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Why Mike, can't compete with lumber?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Why Mike, can't compete with lumber?
Naw, I think it's probably very competetive, pricewise; and probably more environmentally friendly - I suspect folks are probably still kind of wary of using steel for houses and most don't realize how many well-built commercial buildings they look at are framed with steel.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Shouldn't that foam be behind a "thermal" (fire) barrier, such as gypsum board? Whether icynene or UFFI, I thought it was supposed to be covered in completed construction, and that you should never see it exposed like this.

Douglas Hansen

It is used on roofs all the time. Of course there are different types which have different flame spread rates. The attic is very simmilar to a mock up I saw at the International builders show last year.

Shouldn't that foam be behind a "thermal" (fire) barrier, such as gypsum board? Whether icynene or UFFI, I thought it was supposed to be covered in completed construction, and that you should never see it exposed like this.

Douglas Hansen

Hi Douglas,

I think the answer to your question is, "That depends." 1. On whether it is an attic in the sense of a storage attic or an attic in the sense of a utility space 2. On the flame-spread and smoke characteristics of the material used.

R316.4 Thermal Barrier. Unless otherwise allowed in Section R316.5 or R316.6, foam plastic shall be separated from the interior of a building by an approved thermal barrier of minimum 1/2 inch (12.mm) gypsum wallboard or an approved finish material equivalent to a thermal barrier material that will limit the average temperature rise of the unexposed surface to no more than 250°F :(139°C) after 15 minutes of fire exposure complying with the ASTM E 119 or UL 263 standard time temperature curve. The thermal barrier shall be installed in such a manner that i;t will remain in place for 15 minutes based on NFPA 286 with the acceptance criteria of Section R302.9.4, FM 4880, UL 1040 or UL 1715.

R316.5.3 Attics. The thermal barrier specified in Section R316.4 is not required where all of the following apply:

1. Attic access is required by Section R807.1.

2. The space is entered only for the purposes of repairs or maintenance.

3. The foam plastic insulation is protected against ignition using one of the following ignition barrier materials:

3.1. 1-1/2 inch thick (38 mm) mineral fiber insulation;

3.2. 1/2-inch-thick (6.4 mm) wood structural panels;

3.3. 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) particleboard;

3.4 . 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) hardboard.

3.5. 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) gypsum board; or

3.6. Corrosion-resistant steel having a base metal thickness of 0.016 inch (0.406 mm).

The above ignition barrier is not required where the foam plastic insulation has been tested in accordance with Section R316.6.

R316.6 Specific Approval. Foam plastic not meeting the requirements of Sections R316.3 through R316.5 shall be specifically approved on the bases of one of the following approved tests: NFPA 286 with the acceptance criteria of Section R302.9.4, FM4880, UL 723, UL 1040 or UL 1715, or fire tests related to actual end-use configurations. The specific approval shall be based on the actual end use configuration and shall be performed on the finished foam plastic assembly in the maximum thickness intended for use. Assemblies tested shall include seams, joints and other typical details used in the installation of the assembly and shall be tested int he manner intended for use.

I think that the SPF manufacturers have probably figured out by now that builders won't want to use the product if they have to install another barrier over the top of it; so they're making products that can meet the exception in 316.6.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike