Interesting leak

Robert Jones

At this mornings inspection, I ran into a leak that is a bit of a head scratcher. Above the kitchen is the master bath which has a separate tub/shower. Toward the end of my inspection, I noticed a small water spot on the kitchen window sill. There was a slooooow drip coming from the top of the window frame at both the interior and exterior of the home. I had my client go up to the bathroom and turn the tub and shower on to see if the drip got worse. It didn't, the drip just continued at a snails pace. The moisture meter went crazy just above the window trim, but not up the wall or on the ceiling above. At the exterior, the second story wall juts out a bit and the moisture meter went crazy at the lower edge. My guess is that there is a small leak from the drain line associated with the shower and the water is running on framing to exit to the area above the window. Anything else I should be considering?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101120016_IMGP0753%20(Medium).jpg

34.35 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011200126_IMGP0754%20(Medium).jpg

53.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011200147_IMGP0755%20(Medium).jpg

44.16 KB

Good catch. The way that upstairs bathroom wall is cantilevered out, the tub and shower drains must be almost directly above the kitchen wall. The water may be running down the outside of the insulation till it hits the header above the window. Fiberglass or metal tub? tile shower? What's the age of the home and the plumbing?

Brandon has a good point which I'm sure occurred to you. Just because there's plumbing there doesn't eliminate a roof leak. And a leaking vent stack is possible.

I know the fiberglass shower stalls have a tendency to leak around the drain connections, probably from flexing, inadequate support under them. Nobody reads the instructions when they install them, I guess.

But you did your job, found a leak. Further investigation to pin down the source. Bring in the Mike Holmes team with their sledge hammers! [:)]