Implied Command (Imperative Mood) Word Bank

You're right. It's a matter of preference and style. Fred Pryor, in his seminar Effective Business Writing, advocates involving the reader, at every possible opportunity, and I agree.

The main difference between the two styles is that in "Recommending" the note is really about what you think. With the imperative mood, it's all about 'what the reader should do now'.

That doesn't make sense. When I recommend to you that you do something, I am telling you that ought to do it. When I tell you to consider doing something, I am telling you to think about it.

You criticize 'recommend' for being pitifully weak, but you have shown that is stronger than 'consider'.

Words have definitions, -all of 'em. Lawyers and judges make their livings off knowing those definitions. I would submit that HI's would do much better to learn the already-agreed-upon right way to use words rather than try to argue that what they wrote really meant something other than what it means.

Like Katen alluded to, HI's might know what another HI means when he writes something like: 'Recommend proactive replacement of the 18 year old water heater.' but sentences like that make litigator's pupils turn into tiny little dollar signs.

If what you mean aint what you write, sooner or later it'll catch up to ya.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I never say something like "Install a smoke detector here", or "Fix the leak". I always say "Have an electrician install a smoke detector here", or "Have a plumber fix the leak". I just know some day some guy will fall off a ladder and kill himzelf installing the smoke detector, or flood the house fixing the leak, and his wife will be pissed.

Yeah, currently, when something ought to be done by a pro, I begin, "Licensed xxx contractor to... ", which I admit I'm not even happy with. That's a phrase I need to work on.

Also, I never say something like "Install a smoke detector here", or "Fix the leak". I always say "Have an electrician install a smoke detector here", or "Have a plumber fix the leak". I just know some day some guy will fall off a ladder and kill himzelf installing the smoke detector, or flood the house fixing the leak, and his wife will be pissed.

Yeah, currently, when something ought to be done by a pro, I begin, "Licensed xxx contractor to... ", which I admit I'm not even happy with. That's a phrase I need to work on.

Here's a tip I swiped learned from Inspector Emeritus Bob Peek of VA:

I no longer write things like: 'The water heater is leaking and should be replaced by a licensed plumber right away.'

I say: 'The water heater is leaking and should be replaced by a qualified plumber right away.

If a particular job requires a license, sobriety, being bonded by the City, an IQ higher than that of a Rhesus monkey, a Master's degree, or any other credential, then the word 'qualified' covers it, where 'licensed' doesn't always. If the tradesman who does the work lacks any of these requirements (which I may or may not be aware of), then he is not 'qualified'.

It's a relatively small point, but potentially meaningful and a change I thought was worth making in the way I wrote. Take it for what its worth.

Over and out,

Jimmy

You're right. It's a matter of preference and style. Fred Pryor, in his seminar Effective Business Writing, advocates involving the reader, at every possible opportunity, and I agree.

The main difference between the two styles is that in "Recommending" the note is really about what you think. With the imperative mood, it's all about 'what the reader should do now'.

That doesn't make sense. When I recommend to you that you do something, I am telling you that ought to do it. When I tell you to consider doing something, I am telling you to think about it.

I readily agree with your argument regarding "consider", Jim. As I stated further up in the thread, "consider" is a lousy example, because I only use it regarding recommended upgrades (options), where "think about it" is precisely what I mean - things like converting the crawlspace to a sealed and conditioned space, or bumping up the attic insulation to R-38, etc. That's the only time I use "consider" - with stuff it simply isn't cricket to write as an inspection issue.

Regardiing true action items, like fix this or repair that, etc. I still don't like recommend. Just fix it!

Here's a tip I swiped learned from Inspector Emeritus Bob Peek of VA:

I no longer write things like: 'The water heater is leaking and should be replaced by a licensed plumber right away.'

I say: 'The water heater is leaking and should be replaced by a qualified plumber right away.

If a particular job requires a license, sobriety, being bonded by the City, an IQ higher than that of a Rhesus monkey, a Master's degree, or any other credential, then the word 'qualified' covers it, where 'licensed' doesn't always. If the tradesman who does the work lacks any of these requirements (which I may or may not be aware of), then he is not 'qualified'.

It's a relatively small point, but potentially meaningful and a change I thought was worth making in the way I wrote. Take it for what its worth.

Over and out,

Jimmy

I like it! Consider it swiped.

OK, how am I going to recommend anything without using "recommend"?

How do I replace this:

"(I) Recommend (you, the buyer, consider) insulating the attic hatch to reduce heat loss and etc."

Do you actually write "Recommend (you, the buyer, consider) insulating . . ." ??? That's horrible. What's wrong with "I recommend that you insulate the attic hatch?"

My objection to the word recommend isn't the word itself, it's using it in such a way that you're telling the reader to recommend something.

"Insulate the hatch" is too strong. Now the buyer is running back to the seller, the inspector says you, the sellers, need to insulate the hatch or we walk.

If you feel it's too strong, don't use it. I use it all the time and people don't seem to have any trouble understanding me. Most of my clients aren't stupid enough to think that they have to do something just because I phrase things in the imperative. Give your customers some credit and they might surprise you.

I write "Recommend insulating ..." I put the words in brackets which are implied but not written. Why do I avoid using "I" in a report? Am asking you. [:)]

An electrician was telling me why he hates home inspectors. Nice guy. [:)]

Well, he was still talking to me after I pointed out all the bedroom outlets in the house he was wiring had hot and neutral reversed.

He'd had his own house inspected and his wife was in tears. The buyers wanted all new vinyl windows and all the kitchen outlets replaced with GFCI units, etc, etc. They had taken the HI's recommendations and turned them into requirements. That is what I was getting at.

Do you tell people that your reports include "requirements?" Sounds like a problem with expectations, not with grammar.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

No, I use "required" when "Service by a qualified heating technician is required".

Thanks, Jim M. I started using "qualified" as well, like for working with Al branch circuits, "qualified" was better than "licensed".

Yes, my reports are fairly stilted to read.

Lists of comments is what they are.

Fences posts - Rotted, leaning, Repair/replace as needed.

Plumbing - Repair leaking faucet in main bath

Report - resolve to make improvements

Homework - none required. [:)]

. . .

Yes, my reports are fairly stilted to read.

Lists of comments is what they are.

Fences posts - Rotted, leaning, Repair/replace as needed.

Plumbing - Repair leaking faucet in main bath

Report - resolve to make improvements

Homework - none required. [:)]

If it's a checklist report there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I kind of like it. It's the ultimate in short & to the point. There was a time when all home inspection reports were just like that. (Ok, with a few exceptions.)

But if you're going to write narrative I think it's better to use complete sentences because they're harder to misunderstand.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There are almost no hard and fast rules in HI Report Writing save this: no one does it better than Katen.

That is precisely why I modeled my report after his.

I also prefer 'qualified' over 'licensed', but I place that recommendation at the begining of my report. Some things that I feel strongly about will include a specific recommendation for who I think should fix them, including things that I think are, or should be, DIY. I typically recommend that installing or replacing smoke and CO detectors be the very first DIY project they do.

Notice how many times I used 'recommend'[:-graduat

There are almost no hard and fast rules in HI Report Writing save this: no one does it better than Katen.

I also prefer 'qualified' over 'licensed', but I place that recommendation at the begining of my report. Some things that I feel strongly about will include a specific recommendation for who I think should fix them, including things that I think are, or should be, DIY. I typically recommend that installing or replacing smoke and CO detectors be the very first DIY project they do.

Consider reducing use of the word recommend... [:-dev3]

Consider reducing use of the word recommend... [:-dev3]

That's funny Mike.

By definition, a plumber is a tradesperson who specializes in installing and maintaining systems used for potable (drinking) water, sewage, and drainage., whether he's licensed, qualified, competent, or anything else. The State or local municipality determines if they're a plumber, not me. There is no Federal law concerning licensing or anything else for plumbers.

I've stopped using competent, qualified, licensed, or anything else to qualify a tradesman. I don't think it matters.

If someone hires someone that's unlicensed and a moron, do folks think they're going to come back to us and be angry?

This argument always goes to the fictional and imaginary court case where we get in trouble for things we imagine, which don't exist, and therefore aren't arguable one way or the other.

So, I don't think it matters.

By definition, a plumber is a tradesperson who specializes in installing and maintaining systems used for potable (drinking) water, sewage, and drainage., whether he's licensed, qualified, competent, or anything else. The State or local municipality determines if they're a plumber, not me. There is no Federal law concerning licensing or anything else for plumbers.

I've stopped using competent, qualified, licensed, or anything else to qualify a tradesman. I don't think it matters.

If someone hires someone that's unlicensed and a moron, do folks think they're going to come back to us and be angry?

This argument always goes to the fictional and imaginary court case where we get in trouble for things we imagine, which don't exist, and therefore aren't arguable one way or the other.

Truth... and another word saved...

Well, where plumbers are concerned, you're correct, but what about carpenters? They aren't licensed at all. What about roofers?

Still, your point is well taken. I don't think anyone could successfully sue a Home Inspector because he failed to tell them to hire a qualified contractor ('But your honor, I figured I could save a bundle on a crappy contractor because my home inspector didn't explicitly tell me not to. Had he only told me to hire a qualified contractor, I surely would have, and thus avoided this entire disaster.')

I think using 'qualified' contractor is a little better, so I use it. I guess I just think it's worth the extra effort, that's all. I don't think it makes me a better inspector than you.

It's my winsome charm and razor sharp intellect that makes me a better inspector than you. [;)]

I think using 'qualified' contractor is a little better, so I use it. I guess I just think it's worth the extra effort, that's all. I don't think it makes me a better inspector than you.

It's my winsome charm and razor sharp intellect that makes me a better inspector than you. [;)]

In my evolution as a ratshit crawling moron, I worked through all the usual stuff, eventually got to "qualified" for a few years, and now just ditched all of it. If someone wants to hire a goofball, more power to them. It keeps work flowing for all of us........[:-angel]

Winsome charm and razon sharp intellect is why we all love you, you darling little boy.

I strongly recommend you hire a qualified licensed certified tradesperson to further evaluate the high level of carbon monoxide and bare electric wires.

'course you could also hire a licensed therapist to help Jimmy and Kurt patch things up!

FWIW, in my state everyone has a license except home inspectors. Carpenters, wall covering installers, hearing aid sales, tatoo artists, pot growers, etc.. Home inspectors have been doing a fine job of self regulation. ( really really wanted to modify that last statement)

Hi,

I used to use the words licensed and qualified interchangeably; now I simply use the word "reputable."

There are licensed plumbers that are anything but reputable and there unlicensed plumbers that are very reputable. There are licensed plumbers that are supposed to be - at least one would think - qualified, but there are also those who are plainly incompetent and the same goes for the unlicensed guys that go around calling themselves that.

I'm not going to get into the middle of that. I just tell 'em, "Hire a reputable whatever." When folks ask me how to find one of those, which isn't that often, I tell 'em to talk to friends, relative, co-workers, talk to other professionals they know, such as their attorney, and check out Angie's list. If they work for Microsoft, Boeing or Amazon, I tell 'em to go onto the companies intranet message board and ask their co-workers. I tell 'em to demand references from anyone they hire and to follow up on those references.

For me, reputable works.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

I used to use the words licensed and qualified interchangeably; now I simply use the word "reputable."

There are licensed plumbers that are anything but reputable and there unlicensed plumbers that are very reputable. There are licensed plumbers that are supposed to be - at least one would think - qualified, but there are also those who are plainly incompetent and the same goes for the unlicensed guys that go around calling themselves that.

I'm not going to get into the middle of that. I just tell 'em, "Hire a reputable whatever." When folks ask me how to find one of those, which isn't that often, I tell 'em to talk to friends, relative, co-workers, talk to other professionals they know, such as their attorney, and check out Angie's list. If they work for Microsoft, Boeing or Amazon, I tell 'em to go onto the companies intranet message board and ask their co-workers. I tell 'em to demand references from anyone they hire and to follow up on those references.

For me, reputable works.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You mean there are contractors of ill repute out there?... [:-weepn]

Gee such choices: Licensed, Qualified, Reputable. Though I've been using "licensed", I'm going to purge that word from my reporting software. Most of the creeps that we deal with that screw things up have a license, including the moron in the other thread I just posted in the HVAC forum. Qualified is better, but when I think about it, reputable is really good. It puts the burden on the client to do his homework. I like it, Mike!

That, and the fact that a barber has to work harder than an HI to obtain a license in NY, and around here a contractor has to complete an application and sign a check. I know of one municipality that does not charge for licensing, but that's just the start of their hair brained schemes. The State doesn't license contractors.

I don't like it.

Reputable means "having a good reputation", or "honorable". Lots of folks have misplaced feelings of honor, but lack integrity (or brains).

Now, we've entered into the entirely subjective. Any realtorzoid can find someone with a good reputation in their office, and they will insist the guy is honorable. We know what that means.

There's big bunches of folks in this town that advertise like the dickens, have excellent reputations, and they suck. Big time.

Reputable is worse than qualified.

I don't like it.

Reputable means "having a good reputation", or "honorable". Lots of folks have misplaced feelings of honor, but lack integrity (or brains).

Now, we've entered into the entirely subjective. Any realtorzoid can find someone with a good reputation in their office, and they will insist the guy is honorable. We know what that means.

There's big bunches of folks in this town that advertise like the dickens, have excellent reputations, and they suck. Big time.

Reputable is worse than qualified.

Sorry,

As much as I want to do right by my clients, I do not intend to get involved in determining who they pick. I know reputable is subjective - that's why I use it. I know that some licenses are a joke and I know that calling someone qualified or certified can mean just about anything. Reputable is as far as I'll go. They can talk to all of those persons that I mentioned, get references and decide for themselves based on that person's reputation with those that tell them about that person whether that person is for them.

Nowhere in there did I say I recommend they ask a realtor for a reference; in fact, I pointedly avoid mentioning realtors at all before, during and after the inspection because I want the client understanding that the inspection is my time with them and not their realtor's.

Might not work for you, Brother Kurt, but it works fine for me.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

In my evolution as a ratshit crawling moron, I worked through all the usual stuff, eventually got to "qualified" for a few years, and now just ditched all of it. If someone wants to hire a goofball, more power to them. It keeps work flowing for all of us........[:-angel]

Winsome charm and razon sharp intellect is why we all love you, you darling little boy.

Uncle Kurt,

You've once again brought up a good point that made me rethink an old practice. That's a useful exercise that I should go through more often.

Feeling the love,

Jimmy

The learning curve brought me to the same place. The only reason we feel a need to insert these words in front of a (choose any) tradesperson is because there are so many hacks. But . . . there's only so much we can do. I hate to break it to you, but none of the qualifiers mentioned in this thread will actually help a buyer choose the right person for a given job. They'll opt for the lower price, or more likely for whoever is the best at self promotion during a two-minute phone conversation.

The only exception is when it comes to further assessing HVAC equipment--like having someone competent pull a blower to check a heat exchanger instead of having a hungover kid perform the same visual that I did.

I hate to break it to you, but none of the qualifiers mentioned in this thread will actually help a buyer choose the right person for a given job. They'll opt for the lower price, or more likely for whoever is the best at self promotion during a two-minute phone conversation.

Especially after we convinced them to pay our exorbitant fee for the inspection. [:-crazy]

Their checkbook is now barren.

I hate to break it to you, but none of the qualifiers mentioned in this thread will actually help a buyer choose the right person for a given job. They'll opt for the lower price, or more likely for whoever is the best at self promotion during a two-minute phone conversation.

Especially after we convinced them to pay our exorbitant fee for the inspection. [:-crazy]

Their checkbook is now barren.

If their checkbook is barren after they have had an inspection do they really need to be buying a house?

But a good inspection is money well spent.