"Take necessary STEPS to support the addition".

Bill Kibbel

LOL,

About 12 years ago, I inspected a home that had a big indoor pool. The pool heater was located in the garage. Don't inspect pools but I figured that I could inspect that gas-burning appliance installed in the garage though. I took the shroud off the heater and found a big 'ol hole through the back of the exchanger that was spewing CO into the garage. Above the garage was a bachelor's apartment where the owner's teenage son was living.

Anyway, I wrote up the darned heater and the owner, an attorney, called me a few days later demanding that I retract what I'd written about the pool heater, "because it was outside of the standards." At the time he was quoting the ASHI standards to me and I was a NAHI member. He insisted that I had a choice of retracting what I wrote, paying for the heat exchanger that "I" had damaged or facing him in court. I pointed out to him that I wasn't even an ASHI member, that there were no licensing laws or mandated state SOP at the time, that the selling agent had stood there and watched me take that heater apart and discover the hole and that I was a retired army investigator and therefore probably had more credibility than a disgruntled lawyer/homeowner. When he began to get louder and tried to sound more menacing, I said to him, "Have you ever watched Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood? He said, "Yeah, why?" My response, "Can you say, "sit on it and rotate?" I hung up to the sound of him telling me how he was going to own me.

I never heard another thing from the guy.

I've been threatened by another homeowner - a builder actually - that threatened to sue me if I didn't retract what I'd written about some new homes they'd built where they'd mixed engineered lumber I-joists with sawn lumber rim boards and hadn't installed any spreader panels, squash blocks or web stiffeners at required locations. They'd claimed I was performing engineering. Heck, all I was doing was comparing what was there to the installation manual published by the joist manufacturer. A letter from my attorney, at a cost of $425 convinced them that, unless they wanted the local paper and owners of those hundreds of homes they'd built like that to learn about the reason for the suit, it would be prudent to leave me the hell alone.

Never heard another peep out of them. They've since stopped mixing engineered lumber with sawn lumber in their floor platform systems.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

LOL,

About 12 years ago, I inspected a home that had a big indoor pool. The pool heater was located in the garage. Don't inspect pools but I figured that I could inspect that gas-burning appliance installed in the garage though. I took the shroud off the heater and found a big 'ol hole through the back of the exchanger that was spewing CO into the garage. Above the garage was a bachelor's apartment where the owner's teenage son was living.

Anyway, I wrote up the darned heater and the owner, an attorney, called me a few days later demanding that I retract what I'd written about the pool heater, "because it was outside of the standards." At the time he was quoting the ASHI standards to me and I was a NAHI member. He insisted that I had a choice of retracting what I wrote, paying for the heat exchanger that "I" had damaged or facing him in court. I pointed out to him that I wasn't even an ASHI member, that there were no licensing laws or mandated state SOP at the time, that the selling agent had stood there and watched me take that heater apart and discover the hole and that I was a retired army investigator and therefore probably had more credibility than a disgruntled lawyer/homeowner. When he began to get louder and tried to sound more menacing, I said to him, "Have you ever watched Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood? He said, "Yeah, why?" My response, "Can you say, "sit on it and rotate?" I hung up to the sound of him telling me how he was going to own me.

I never heard another thing from the guy.

I've been threatened by another homeowner - a builder actually - that threatened to sue me if I didn't retract what I'd written about some new homes they'd built where they'd mixed engineered lumber I-joists with sawn lumber rim boards and hadn't installed any spreader panels, squash blocks or web stiffeners at required locations. They'd claimed I was performing engineering. Heck, all I was doing was comparing what was there to the installation manual published by the joist manufacturer. A letter from my attorney, at a cost of $425 convinced them that, unless they wanted the local paper and owners of those hundreds of homes they'd built like that to learn about the reason for the suit, it would be prudent to leave me the hell alone.

Never heard another peep out of them. They've since stopped mixing engineered lumber with sawn lumber in their floor platform systems.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You're a little off topic, but you are amazing Mike!!