Basics
User Name:  Ben H 

USA
Marital Status:  Married
Total Posts:  1416
[0.54 posts per day]
Find all non-archived posts by Ben H
More About Me
Bio:  I suppose my journey as a Home Inspector started at a very young age. Just ask my mother. I was taking things apart well before I knew how to put them back together. If I recall the stories correctly, I disassembled her vacuum at the age of 5, resulting in a new Electrolux. She was happy, my father, not so much. My curiosity and hunger for knowledge only grew with age. My first summer job was a helper for a general contractor who was remodeling a pre-civil war home. This is where my fascination with building was taken to the next level. Building practices of old are simply amazing. The lack of tools and technology never hindered their ability to create masterpieces. It’s too bad those who had a great since of pride and craftsmanship are all but gone…

I honed my knowledge and skills as a home inspector with the purchase of my own home. I’ve never been one to leave well enough alone, and by year 3 of home ownership, I think the ONLY thing that remained original to the house was the brick…. Absolutely nothing like hands on experience.

After 5 years in home remodeling as a field supervisor for a national franchise, I decided that swinging a hammer for the next 20 years was not exactly my idea of a good time. I wanted my knowledge and skills to be used for something more. It wasn’t until a friend of mine bought a home and hired a local inspector. I dropped by the day after his home inspection and very nonchalantly walked through the house, pointing things out as I walked. It wasn’t 20 minutes later he rushed to the kitchen and grabbed his “home inspection report.” Which was nothing more than a checklist? I flipped through five pages of softened B.S. and handed it back to him, shaking my head in astonishment. “You paid what for that?”

So I signed up for my “training school” which for me was like watching grass grow. Although, I must say the most interesting thing about it was the people watching. I was in a class of around 20. The lack of ANY knowledge was mind numbing. I kept thinking how sad I was. I was sad in the fact that once the “training” was over, these other people would actually be considered my peers. There is nothing on paper to distinguish myself from people who really don’t know what they are doing. That is a scary fact.

Hobbies:  Woodworking, Snowboarding, Web Design
Company Information:  ABI Home Inspection Service

KY-HI-3039
Favorite Quote:  When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Links 
Homepage:  http://abihomeservices.com 
Cool Links:  http://abihomeservices.com/louisville-home-inspection-blog/ 
  http://abihomeservices.com/home-inspection-education.html 

Back to previous page

The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2016 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2016 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector